how do you take care of your little one when they have a cold?

do you give them tylenol?, what do you do? my kids are 1 year old and 4 year old.
(is not the first time they have a cold, just wondering what other moms do!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Health

• I always took my son to the doctor. I am the overprotective parent. I needed to have my fears at ease. But, as he got older, I did give the tylenol then the moltrin. I think it's like 4 hours apart. And, I gave the amount according to his age. I believe this is what the doctor told me to do. IT's been so long since he's been sick. I hope your LO's get better soon. But, please call the doctor and have him/her check them out.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 4:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• i always give honey sandwichs for the throat, nightquil for night, gatorade to drink, im a big drug giver, (ANONS dont bother)..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 4:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I give him tylenol every four hours, pedialyte(if he runs a fever), and vick's vapor rub on his chest.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 4:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My son will be 3 soon. If I catch the sniffles and low fever on time, I can usually prevent the cold from happening by giving him children's tylenol. If that doesn't work- I take his temperature- give him tylenol, lay him down to rest and give him little pedialyte pops to kinda help the fever. When he's asleep, I take a rag drench it in water and place it over his belly button. It's a Mexican thing that my mom used to do with us, and it works, it helps their fever go away. I know it sounds crazy, but try it.

It all depends on how sick the child is. If it feels like he's super sick and his fever is super high- take him to the doctor, right away!!
    SinCitiChick

Answer by SinCitiChick at 4:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• if they have a fever *(which does not come with a cold though), i give them tylenol to get it down, but for just a regular old cold i give them a humidifier in their room, flush out their nose with the saline spray and aspirator, and give them juice with vitamin c to drink (oj or juicy juice). i don't believe in cold meds. especially after all the recalls on it recently
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:40 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Tylinol is fine if the dosing is followed strictly. For the one year old I would only use cold medicine if they are really bad off. We did use benedryl for congestion and to help them sleep. A humidifier is a good thing as well as the saline and aspirator.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:08 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Depends on age, but at 2 and 4 years I use saline in the nose and a humidifier. If they have a fever over 102 for the 2 year old and 104 for the 4 year old then they get Motrin. Anything less then that they get cold wash clothes. Sore throat/cough they get honey in chamomile tea and lots of rest. I make sure they stay hydrated with water and juice. If diarrhea or vomiting then pedialyte.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:58 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Honey, suction bulb for nose... that's just about it. We don't do meds unless totally needed.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:04 AM on Aug. 13, 2009