When is membrane stripping done?

I have an apt on Thursday and I will be 38 weeks pregnant that day. I have never been checked for dilation so not sure if I am dilated or not. I don't believe that my baby has dropped any and I have not had any signs of labor. The last 2-3 days I have gotten an occasional pain after standing up- like pressure from the baby... maybe she is about to drop?

Anyway, do you think my doc will strip my membranes if I ask at my 38 week apt? Is there a reason why they would not trip my membranes... like, do I have to be at least a little dilated?

This is my first child!

Thanks so much!

shannonwooten

Asked by shannonwooten at 4:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i had my done at 38 weeks
    keithamy06

Answer by keithamy06 at 4:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• When i was 39 weeks with my second they did it. I think its any time after your 38 weeks. Its a little uncomfortable.. But its worth the try! Good luck
    SMarsolf

Answer by SMarsolf at 4:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Why don't you ask them when they're going to check you for dilation... I wouldn't get my membranes stripped...your baby will come when it's ready! :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I've never had mine stripped....and unless you're over due I don't think they normally do it.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I was asked at almost every appointment after 39 weeks. I didn't have it done, but I wish I had, that may have helped my labor to speed up some. I labored at home for almost 30 hours before heading to the hospital. I do think you have to be a little dilated and possibly a little effaced. I was before I was asked.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 4:37 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Some do it at 37 or 38 weeks, others wait until 42 weeks, many never do it at all. (It was not something I wanted with my pregnancies, even when I'd gone past my due dates.) Is it something you're thinking you'll want to do later? Do you know much about it?

Just to add, you might already know that average pregnancies last 38-42 weeks (40 is only the mid-point), but that first-time moms average 41 weeks, 1 day? If you can remember that your average is an additional week or so, it can remind you to be patient.   That baby is still inside for a reason.   Trying to make baby come out for mom's convenience isn't always best for the baby.

What can you do to get more comfortable stay busy/rest, and be distracted?   There are probably some things you can still do and then not think too much about what you can not control.   Baby will come when the time is just perfect!  :-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:42 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Yes, you have to be dilated to have your membranes stripped because they cant get in your cervix if it is completely closed!

I had my membranes stripped at 37 weeks and on but I was already 4 cm at that point and I think my office typically waits til 38 weeks. The baby has to be engaged and not floating for it to be done safely. It can (although I have no faith in it) put you in to labor and an OB should be sure that the baby is low enough in order to possibly induce labor
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I think that stripping your membranes is a form of induction. Unless you need to be induced I don't see why they'd do it. It sounds to me like you still have awhile to go. And I've also heard that stripping hurts and it isn't always effective. I don't want to have it done lol.
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 5:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• What is this,I'm 50 years old,had 5 kids ,and I have never in my life heard of membrane stripping,every-time I look there's something new,when I had babies you carried your child and you didn't get nervous until you seen the mucus plug,then you knew labor was soon to come. I have to google this,getting membrane stripped. You ladies got me stumped.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• anon 3:38...

Stripping the membranes is when your doc does a vaginal check and puts his/her finger between your cervix and the bag of water and tries to seperate it. it is NOT breaking your water, it is just to irritate the cervix & your uterus to hopefully cause little contractions to help you dilate and efface more.

As for your comment on knowing that labor is soon to come when you lose your plug... that is not the case at all. There is no connection between losing your plug and the start of labor
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:47 PM on Aug. 11, 2009