My puppy is about to turn one, I need advise

My youngest dog is a amstaff/chow mix and she is as sweet as can be and very protective and a perfect fit with our other rescue and the whole family. She is still in a biting phase every once in a while- how long do these things last usually? She has never bit out if anger, or made anyone bleed or even growled when this has happened. It actually seems like she gets excited- the other day she was in the kithcne with me and she walked up and I petted her and then she walked away and came back and when I bent down she reached up and bit my nose! It hurt and there is a bruise- does anyone have any advise or knowledge of how long this is acceptable for a puppy?

And please no talk of getting rid of her- she is a great dog.

sarahbrown1220

Asked by sarahbrown1220 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Pets

• At one year old, that is unacceptable behavior. A good way to make her quit is to let out a loud high pitched squeal when she does it. She should have learned from her litter mates that that noise means to stop, that the play is getting out of control. It makes you feel kind of silly, but it does work! If that does not work, you may have to work with some obedience training with her, but most dogs will respond to a high pitched noise to stop. You have to do it each time she jumps and bites accidentally; it will teach her control- and at 1 years of age she should pick it up fairly quickly! Good luck and I hope it works!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 4:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• You need a very firm hand with chows; they are not good with small children.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:50 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• We do have a firm hand with her, like I said this does not happen alot and she is a chow mix- that is a common misconception that a ceartin breed is not good with children- she is great with the children- she is so attatched to them and protective that she gets upset when my husband plays "monster" and chases them around the house- she also gets upset if they are at the other end of the yard from her and cries all the way as she runs to them,

And for the chow stereotype- no one told her that she was supposed to be not good with children- she must have not gotten that msg!
    sarahbrown1220

Answer by sarahbrown1220 at 6:05 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Oh, and another thing- this just goes to show you that all kinds of dogs can be terrible with people or kids- one of the biggest number of bites in the last few years came from Golden Retrievers- thought to be the best family dog- and all becasue of over breading.
    sarahbrown1220

Answer by sarahbrown1220 at 6:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• It is not acceptable even as a puppy. This should not be allowed to continue. When your dog does this, I would gently hold his mussel, say firmly NO BITE and then walk away and ignore him. NO play, no talking to him. Not even a glance. Wait for 5 or so minutes and let him come back and pet him. If he tries it again same thing. He does NOT get rewarded for biting. You must remain calm but firm and always consistent.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:15 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• The larger the breed, the slower they age... so at one, your dog is still in its puppy phase. You do need to train your dog not to nite, even during play time... a simple loud no should do it. When you pet her and she is calm and relaxed, reward her, but do not punish her as dogs can rebel... Good luck.. my chi does this to me but he is so small it doesnt bother me.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:00 AM on Aug. 12, 2009