how are you and your family make ends meet,etc...

times are tough, i think most eveyone can agree and relate.i just wonder what other families are doing to make it through the economic thing. you know coupons, 2nd jobs,etc..saving change,whatever.

my family has done alot to try and cut costs down.
one no more dryer, we use clothes line, and shower rod.
no more sodas,eatting out, things like that, it is amazing how much it has saved us.
i stopped smoking, that saved us $30 a week.
we made holidays and bdays simple with simple gifts, and food,.alot of pot luck meals for those things.
lights are all off during the day, all but the bathroom(no windows in them).
anyways, there are more things we have done, and i am interested in hearing new ways we can cut back.

Kiki_pie

Asked by Kiki_pie at 4:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• we have a strict budget

eliminated all the extra costs - eating out, movies, shopping unnecessarily, outings that cost money etc.

I have monthly meal plans and stick to it very strictly - once a month shopping trips with coupons and on the 'customer appreciation days'

but my dh's industry hasn't been affected by any economic downturns really - he's in new home construction but can bump into the reno field.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Here are my best tips for saving money at the grocery store:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5223945_save-even-money-grocery-store.html

Answer by rkoloms at 4:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I don't know what else we can do. We were living on a very tight budget before the economy got worse!! We don't go to movies, don't go out to eat or order out, no internet (blackberry provided by his job), no cable, only debt is our mortgage. We rarely run the air during the summer. We have cut our food and toiletries budget from $100 a week to about $70 a week. That does not include diapers. I am potty training all 3 kids in order to cut way down on diapers and that is starting to go well. Our house is up for sale too. We have enough, so I am not complaining. It is just frustrating to hear talk of how "You can cut costs!!" and we are already doing everything mentioned.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I grew my business larger to help bring in more money...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• We stopped eating out. We only eat out once a month now. That has saved us so... much money. I look for deals when I'm buying things we "need". I recently started working from home to make some extra money as well and I'm very happy I did. Tha'ts pretty much it.
    Check out my website if you're interested.

www.4MyFamilyandMe.com

Erika
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 5:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• We stopped eating out, going on weekend trips and cut the groceries down from $400 a month to $150. Congratulations on quitting smoking, I am also working on that. I started a home business last year to replace my current full time job so that has been helping out greatly because I just took a $20,000 cut in pay.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 5:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• we don't eat out anymore or to go to the movies

connorsmom2009

Answer by connorsmom2009 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Though it's late in the season for you to start now, we have a garden and I can from it. We buy our clothes used, either from thrift stores or at yard sales. (Except for underwear and socks). We have a bump and dent grocery near us that has better prices and I stock the pantry with exceptional bargains. So over the long haul our food budget is pretty good. We have one car, bought used with cash, mostly for DH's work. I grocery shop once a week. We've shopped around for car insurance and are swiching from AAA to an insurance offered motor plan. (My DH does alot of travel and has needed roadside assistance). We don't have cable, cell phones, newspaper or magazine subscriptions. We love our local library. We have Internet access but shop around for good rates. We do eat out once a pay period (Hardee's, etc and use twofers). I think the biggest help has been having a written budget and tracking spending. Plus we talk it out.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 5:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2009