When should I start teaching my son...

to put his toys in his basket? he is one year old.

Proud2bJmom

Asked by Proud2bJmom at 4:41 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• It doesn't hurt to start teaching him now but I wouldn't really expect him to do it for a while.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 4:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• When my dd started making messes I would get her to "help" pick them up. She enjoys it now at 21 mos and I think I started around a year. I guess, make it a game and don't really have high expectations for picking up every toy or even half :) but it won't hurt to show him and teach him now!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:47 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I encouraged it (or tried to) when they started playing. you can tell him that its time to put our toys away and just keep showing how to do it and why.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:50 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Now, but not on his own, you will have to help him. Maybe sing the "clean up song" and together you can pick up the toys and put them away. Eventually you'll be able to just sing the song and watch him do the picking up and then you won't even have to do that (and then he'll be a teenager and you'll have to start with him all over again...ROFL).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 5:40 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• We started asking him to help put away his toys when he was about 18 months, hes 24 months now and helps without us asking!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:52 PM on Aug. 12, 2009