Would you be offended?

My cousins friend is having a baby so she asked me if I would mind either giving or lending my old baby clothing to this person. I decided that'd be fine since this person needed the help and I could afford to get more if I had another girl. My cousin told me to forget it. This person was actually taking brand new clothing back to the store to get "better" stuff for her kid. So she didn't want to waste the stuff on this girl. I appreicate my cousin looking out for the clothing and all, but I just can't imagine a person doing this! I was a little offened until my cousin explained it to me, then I was just shocked! I've gotten clothing I didn't like but you better believe my daughter wore it anyway! What do you think about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• See it's called being gratful for what your given. While it may not be my taste, someone still took their money, energy and time to get my child a gift. The only way I would return something is if I got a duplicate (actually happened to me before) or it was the wrong size and then I would try to get the same item but in the right size.

I have two little girls and many of the sisters that attend my congergation were waiting to see my girls in the little dresses they bought. So even if it was just once I made sure I put it on my girls and took them to service so that the sister would see her gift on my little one. You never know what door you're shutting by being so rude - someone my be less inclined to buy you something in the future for you or your child if they feel like the gift won't be appreciated and used. I know I would.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 5:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• oh handsdown they would have wore it.. my sisters are like that "girl" you talk about.. it drives me nuts..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 5:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• It's called ungrateful,but, you still keep being a giving a person. I have given out so many gifts for birthdays,showers,etc.,this make people want to give back to me.Don't let selfish people upset you.
    lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 5:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I returned a ton of stuff, but that is only because we were given SO much. People were so generous. When I could exchange it for the same outfit in another size, I did. However I think it is ridiculous if you are doing it simply because the clothes aren't good enough for you. I don't think I would bother with a gift since I KNOW I couldn't give something that nice. Lol! I often pass on hand-me-downs when we can't afford a gift!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:17 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I got a bunch of hand me down clothing and if it wasnt weather appropriate (my son was born in summer and we got some newborn winter clothes) then I gave it away to some one else that I thought would use it. Same goes for clothes that I didnt think DS would be comfortable in.
    We got so many clothes that I did return a couple of the million outfits my MIL bought so we could stock up on bottles and more important things.
    I would stick to giving away clothes to people you know well so you know where they are going and that some one is grateful.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 5:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• If something has tags and the gifter gave you a gift receipt...I see no harm in exchanging it for something more appropriate. I think you are exaggerating to be offended since you don't know the context. I would rather someone exchange my gift for something they can use, than keep it never wear it and waste my money.

It is not like she was collecting hand me downs saying she needed them, then selling them on Craigslist to get "better" stuff.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 5:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I got a TON of stuff for my shower, and as handme downs.
    Some new stuff, I got doubles, even triples of things, all the same size, so yes i did return it and used the store credit to buy other things we needed, like diapers etc.

Some of the used stuff that was given to us, we took to one of those turn around stores, that pays you cash or store credit for gently used baby stuff.
    My DD is growing SO fast, and there were things that she just didn't get to wear soon enough.
    We have enough money from that now to buy the new carseat for my SO's car since she is getting too tall for the infant carrier.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2009