how do you know your having contractions?

I am 31weeks pregnant and i have had alot of back pain and since im new at this i have no clue what anything feels like.

shellyw1stbaby

Asked by shellyw1stbaby at 5:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You should be able to physically feel one start....that tightening feeling. If you feel it then use your hands to poke your whole uterus. It should be all the way up to your rib cage practically now. If the WHOLE thing is hard, all the way from your pants to 4 inches above your belly button, then your uterus is contracting. Back pain is usually from something else unless you're actually in labor. In which case...I think you'd know you were having contractions.
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 5:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• i had a lot of back pain, but i found out my lil one was face up most the time....so his head was puttin pressure on my spine and nerves. i was also confused about contractions, but believe me you WILL know....my mom even said i got an o s**t look on my face lol. it will take your breath away, usually cant walk or talk through the real thing and they'll be consistent, getting stronger. if you can sleep thru it and they go away, its not time. your body is going to start getting ready for the real thing, so you'll probably be experiencing some braxton hicks.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 5:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Oh you'll know. It feels like a PMS cramp but like 100% times more intense.
    mrsmendoza2006

Answer by mrsmendoza2006 at 5:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I suffered from braxton-hicks contraction through both my pregnancies, starting from about 32 weeks with my second pregnancy. Real contractions are consistent, and persistent, not necessarily perfectly timed, but the do gradually get more frequent. Back pain comes with the territory, but remember to keep moving. When you get further along, this will be very important, since it helps the baby move into position, and helps relax the birth canal. Not to mention, gravity. If they are real contractions movement will not stop them, if they are false, bed rest, movement and just general activity will stop them.
    littlestchef

Answer by littlestchef at 5:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2009