Is it normal for siblings to be physically agressive/violent with each other?

Is there an age where this is normal? What should parents do about it? Does it matter if the children are of different genders? What do you think is "over the line" when it comes to disagreements among children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's normal but doesn't make it right and it can happen with opposite genders. It can start as early as toddler years and even last till teen years, ugh. Just have to teach and tell them it's not right.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• my two are alomost 2 and 6 yrs old.. they beat each other all the time..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 5:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• good luck, my sister beat me up a lot when she was 18 and i was 14, she used to chase me around the house with butcher knives when our mom was at work and she would also depants me infront of people outside. she went thru counseling and nothing helped
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• with step children it is
    girl 9
    boy 13
    especially happens when they come from their moms
    50% here, 50% there
    we think they are not supervised there and we also think another brother on that side is very aggrssive and worse when it comes to the girl
    we have tryed to get to the bottom of this to no avail
    so we can only control what happens here and we have a home where no hitting etc is acceptable
    lately punishment is sitting on bed with nothing but a book
    it gets some reading time in and they do not get to do other things, like a grounding
    also have threatened to send them to EACH OTHER"S room, this gets the older boy child in line right away thinking of younger sister in his room puts the fear of God in him and he acts straight and flys right after that threat
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 5:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Normal in this house. There are days when they spend most of their time in time outs.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• my girls scuffle and bicker all the time. its mostly at the end of the day when they're tired of eachother's company (especially on summer break!!!! aaaaCK!)

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My kids were not very aggressive but I have nephews that are. It concerns me because it does seem as though they have a mean vengeance to their behavior. My kids would wrestle but someone would always be giggling under the pile. -That seems more "normal" to me.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 6:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2009