Loose stools = Teething????

My daughter has had loose stools for months. I've had two cultures done about a month apart, and they both came back negative. She is not pooping more than normal, so I wouldn't call it diarrhea. But when she does go, it's a lot. Most of the time it's like watery peanut butter. Sorry, don't know how else to describe it. The daycare is always on me like there's something wrong with her. I asked the doctor if it could be teething because she's constantly getting new teeth. They say maybe. She has no other symptoms of anything wrong, and the doctors don't seem concerned but always tell me to call back next month if she still has it. She doesn't drink juice, either. Anybody had this problem?

flowrchild77

Asked by flowrchild77 at 5:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• how old is she and what is her diet like...i am a peds nurse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My kids all had loose stools when teething. Their pediatricians ALL told me that was impossible. I did the whole stool culture, xrays for obstructions etc...it was teething. As long as she has no pain, non distended tummy, no fever and the ped is sure there is no obstruction..don't worry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Nope. No fever. She's very happy. She's 18 months old. Her favorite is pasta, but she isn't very picky yet. She loves veggies: green beans, BBQ/pork n beans, corn, sometimes broccoli, sweet potatoes, potatoes..........I've been giving her yogurt for breakfast most days lately. She only drinks milk or water. She really doesn't care for juice. She loves bananas and applesauce.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• does she drink a lot of milk? or eat lots of dairy products? that can contribute to loose stools. IF the problem was related to teething (which I dont think it ever is, my wisdom teeth came in just fine and my BM were never any different, same with my older kid) it would come and go with the teeth, it wouldnt continue on for months at a time.
    jubes

Answer by jubes at 5:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Never had excessive drooling, never had loose stools, never had fevers with any of my kids.

Is there anyone food you can think of that she eats and then it happens moreso than with others?

I ask because my son is sensitive to citrus. He gets nasty, citrus smelling loose bowels for two days after only one bite of something with citrus fruit in it. (needless to say, he does NOT eat citrus except when we are "trying" him on it again)

What about dairy? If she's getting yogurt for most breakfasts, and milk in addition...just a thought.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Yes, I guess she does ingest a lot of dairy. She mostly drinks milk and loves cheese. I thought dairy would make you constipated. Well, if it IS dairy that is causing it, why would that be bad?
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• The doctor told me to give her the yogurt to help the loose stools. I've also been giving her Pedialyte just this weekend.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 6:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Pedialyte, gatorade, juice, etc...sugary drinks will make diarrhea (or in this case loose stools) worse. The sugar is horrible for that!! Stop giving her pedialyte.

Dairy CAN make some people have the runs. It's not always constipating.

Yogurt has probiotics which might help...but...if she is sensitive to dairy, it's kind of defeating the purpose.

When it first started, were there new foods/drinks at that time? Think back...anything new at that time, but every day now will keep it going.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• The doctor told me to give her Pedialyte and the yogurt. So, I should stop giving her dairy? The only other thing she'll drink is water, and the doctor says they need 16 oz. of milk a day.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 10:11 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• She really doesnt need pedialyte because its not diarrhea. I know there are moms that dont give their kids milk at all. I would suggest cutting back on some other dairy first (yogurt, cheese, etc) to see if makes a difference. You can also try lactaid, but I am not too sure how old to be able to use it. Theres also rice, hemp, and goats milk as alternatives.
    jubes

Answer by jubes at 2:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2009