For those of you who had natural childbirths (no drugs), do you have any advice?

I'm 37 weeks. I've told myself that I'll have them take my blood incase I can't do it and need an epi but I so want to just do this without any drugs. How did you all handle the pain? Any techniques you used would be useful. I'm going to be at the hospital so anything you used there would be nice to know about. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My birthing instructor gave me the best bit of advice and it worked. She told me to hold my arms out or if I was walking around to put your arms around the the neck of the person your walking with and sway, all the while breath, INVITE THE CONTRACTION and breath. If you cringe or try to hold back the pain in any way you will hold yourself from dialating. If you keep doing this, INVITING THE CONTRACTION, it will get easier. It's painful, don't get me wrong, but when you get to the pushing, it actually feels better the pain you invited so pushing is easy. Stay calm, don't push the pain, cringe, just breath. Also, a shower helped me out. Just put your head against the wall when you feel a contraction and sway letting the water it your back. It helped. Good luck!
    mrsmendoza2006

Answer by mrsmendoza2006 at 5:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I USED A FOCAL POINT TO CONCENTRATE WHILE DOING THE BREATHING TECHNIQUES, YOU CAN TAKE ANYTHING FROM HOME AND PUT IT UP ON THE WALL TO FOCUS ON. IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM FOR ME, BUT YOU REALLY NEED TO CONCENTRATE AND FOCUS ON IT, AT LEAS TUNTIL THE CONTRACTION SUBSIDES.

Answer by older at 5:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I try to make it MY OWN as much as possible. Bring my own blankets and pillows, some music I like, stay on my feet without an iv so I have freedom of movement... these were all helpful for me. During contractions I would push the small of my back, kinda like the very top of the back of your pelvis, into the edge of a table or windowsill. This helped TREMENDOUSLY. Just the knowledge that the contractions peak and then lessen in intensity until it stops is very helpful for me. In between contractions I had NO discomfort at all. I wore my own clothes for my comfort. I labored in the tub and since I was relaxed they left me alone. It was nice to have my own zone. For my 4th kiddo, I did have him in the tub at home. It was just the most comfortable for me. I wish you great baby birthin vibes! :)
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 5:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• YOU WANT AN EPIDURAL!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I wanted an epidural for the 2 births I had when I was laying on the bed on my back with feet in stirrups. Those contractions are PAINFUL. I think about it as wanting to work the baby down with each contraction, and laying on your back is often times counter-productive to this. Standing, walking, dancing, SOOO much better during contractions then on your back.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 6:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Do NOT lay on your back! Walking, making husband rub back (I guess I had back labor but it was not that bad since he rubbed my back the entire time)

Just go in knowing that you CAN do it and you will. Its worth it!
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 9:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I agree with the other answers. Just keep moving, swaying & breathing. Stay hydrated. Let your body do it's job & trust that it will. Don't be afraid to have it dark and quiet with just you & partner or bright & family filled. Do want you want. Don't push flat on your back, let gravity help. Push down & out, not in your face. Good luck-you can do it!
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:05 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• just tell yourself it's only 90 seconds at the longest and you can do it. By the time you say that mantra the contraction will almost be over. Talk yourself through it, nobody can be more supportive and reassuring than you. You need to be convinced that you can do this, it's not like you're going to die from pain or anything. Remember the epi WILL slow your progress and it's been linked to many health problems for you and baby. Some tidbits to keep in mind. Labor at home as long as you can so it's not even an option (can't have it if it isn't there right?)
    rowansmum

Answer by rowansmum at 7:19 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• O ya, forgot that you NEVER want to be on your back. Walk, sway, dance, get on your hands and knees whatever but on your back doesn't give your body any help. You have to bring the baby down. Also don't push on your back, it decreases the vaginal opening up to 30%, and you're way more likely to be cut. Don't do the counted "purple pushing" (like when they say ok hold your breath and push to 10). It's stupid and can give you wicked hemerroids. It really serves no purpose and can sometimes be counter productive
    rowansmum

Answer by rowansmum at 7:24 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• put a bag of ice in your hand, It confuses the pain signals that run to your brain. Instead of owww it hurts is oh wow thats cold. It worked wonders for me. I agree, do not lay on your back! Gravity helps! Good luck and congrats!
    Alexsmom04

Answer by Alexsmom04 at 7:34 AM on Aug. 12, 2009