Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

now what?

Our daughter is being testes for ADHD and Bi Polar. Hubby doesn't agree. Now what?
He says she is fine and there is "nothing wrong"
I know it sounds like he's in denial and very may well be. But what do I do?

Answer Question

Asked by polkadotpudding at 5:40 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Kids' Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • get her tested, see what they say, tell dh it is to rule out the ideas. if they come back with that she does have something wrong, get second opinions, then deal with it.

    Answer by AmaliaD at 5:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • Keep him involved, make sure that he also meets with the therapist when you receive the test results/diagnosis.

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:50 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • get her tested!! IF there is something wrong the sooner they find it-the easier it is to get treatment started! don't wait until things get out of hand to have the testing! Tell your hubby that your daughter needs you both to be there for her-and its better to be safe than sorry! Maybe he needs some reassurance that IF there is something wrong theres nothing to be ashamed of! Some men are shallow when it comes to something being wrong with there child-ive heard "no kid of mine would have that problem" so many times! Good Luck! and stand your ground!!!

    Answer by dakotasmommy06 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

  • Get her tested, if she is Bipolar, she needs treatment now. Bipolar is hard to control with meds, let alone without. I don't understand why people don't want their children or family members to get the help they need. If she has Bipolar, she will need meds and counseling. It won't be an easy ride, but with the help she can live a completely normal life. If he is in denial, take her on your own.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

  • Get her tested and if it does show that she has adhd or bi-polar make sure he is involved in the treatment. Hopefully he will see the benefits.

    Answer by robinsi2000 at 7:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

  • Ok so here is the update. She is ADHD, ODD (oppositional defiant disorder) and probably some bipolar tossed in as well.
    This is splitting us up as a once happy married couple. My hubby says the peds and I are lying so I have something to talk about with our group of friends. I agreed with him to explore diets for her and change her diet before we went on meds. He says our dd doesn't have it and he can "predict when someone has a mental illness" Yea ok whatever. I have bi polar and adhd as well but as an adult I can control it with out meds.
    She isn't getting better she cries all the time for no reason. I don't know what to do because he and his mom both said they refuse to give her meds if I put on them. I just found out that neither of them have been giving her the bladder or allergy meds she needs.
    Please help, our marriage is falling apart.

    Answer by polkadotpudding at 8:47 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.