The Dr. said that my blood work was fine to get pregnant but he said that maybe if i lost some weight it would help is this true?

I went to the Dr. he said all my blood work was fine and that if I lost some weight that maybe that would help but i have an aunt that is bigger than me and she got pregnant. Also, someone told me that if I don't get a period then that means I am not ovulating, I haven't had a period since this last December what should I do next?

naizul05

Asked by naizul05 at 6:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I heard its easier to get pregnant if you are really healthy but that is as much as I know...
    sorry, hope it helps a little. Good Luck!! Baby dust!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 6:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Sorry to say, but your doctor may be right. Hormones and your Endocrine system do not work as well when you are overweight by more than 30 pounds. I have had problems all my life with irregular periods, and sugar problems. It doesn't mean you can't get pregnant, just that it will be easier if you exercise and are healthier, plus it makes for a much easier pregnancy! Blood sugar problems can also cause you to stop ovulating as your hormones don't release when they should. I don't have regular periods and it took me 3 years to get pregnant, so it IS still possible though! It just might take longer than you thought. Good luck and Hope it all works out!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 6:17 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Even a small, 5% drop in weight can have an impact on increasing fertility. Just as gaining weight can increase fertility for those significantly underweight, such as marathon runners. Don't take offense, the doc is getting paid to give you good advice. My plan before having one more was to get down to a better weight. So far, I'm not doing so good on that front...lol.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:20 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• It is true that losing weight can help you get pregnant. My bloodwork came back fine after trying for more than a year. 2 years (and 40 lbs less) later, we got a BFP.

Not saying that you can't get preg w/o losing the weight, but it could help.

Good luck
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 10:17 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• yea even just 5 or 10 lbs can help kick start your body to ovulate...this is what my doc is telling me... i have pcos and we are ttc, but i hardly ever ovulate it seems. i also am taking metformin... it was helping, and then my period just stopped, and its been about 80 days now. he tells me everytime i go in there, you might just need to drop a few lbs. i know he is trying to help, but its hard and i get frustrated, and although i know i wouldnt hit him, i sometimes feel like i might lash out! lol
    good luck ! keep trying.
    oh and i have thought the same thing about the heavier person getting pregnant when they werent trying, like HOW? how did it work for you .... thats just how it goes sometimes, we dont know why...
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• A small amount of weight loss can help start ovulation and regulate your periods, just because you don't get your period doesn't necessarily mean you don't/won't ovulate from time to time. Everyone's body is different (just because your aunt is bigger and got pregnant doesn't mean anything). If losing a significant amount of weight doesn't help, it may be a underlying cause your MD missed, try going to a RE (reproductive endocrinologist).

Aniyunwiya

Answer by Aniyunwiya at 2:00 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• It is possible to get pregnant while over weight, but having the extra weight definitely can decrease your chances. If you have not had a period then likely you have not ovulated, but that doesn't mean you won't this month. I would try to lose some weight and see if that helps with the ovulation stuff.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:48 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I didn't have one for 1 year and that's right if you aren't having a period, then it's pretty certain you aren't ovulating...I finally went to the doctor and they told me I had PCOS and Endmetriosis...Had to have a lot of tests and they finally gave me the gonal-f RFF pen along with clomid...It worked im four months pregnant with twins...
    StephArzate

Answer by StephArzate at 4:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I had maybe 4-5 periods a year before I started birth control pills. I had to take Clomid and Glucophage to get pregnant with my daughter. I have PCOS but didn't have any trouble getting pregnant with my twin boys who will soon be 1. My daughter is 3 1/2 years old. I would find a fertility doctor!
    rbjwo10

Answer by rbjwo10 at 5:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2009