your opinion on the army, and should women join.........

i am a 21 female with a 2 yr old. i love the military but i been iffy about joining. now bills are coming ou of no where, my car got reposessed and i'm barely makinng enough to pay rent. do you think i should join or keep struggling. whats your opinion on the army.............

angelsmommy0721

Asked by angelsmommy0721 at 6:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It would be ideal for you. But are you a single parent? I hear they're not taking single parents anymore. Both my husband and my SIL are army, they both were deployed for 15 months at the same time, but my husband left 4 months before her. But if you're seriously considering it go talk to a recruiter. The benefits you and your daughter would get are amazing!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:22 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• i think who is watching your kids is far more important here.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 6:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I am a USMC wife, so I am pro military. My question to you is are you prepared to leave your baby for months at a time? It is a hard life, and not for everyone, but it is a good life too as long as you know what your in for. The medical is good, the pay isn't bad, and housing is getting A LOT better. Your hours can suck at times and deployments are really difficult. My husband has missed EVERY birthday my 3 year old has had and was not in the country when our youngest was born. He has also missed every Thanksgiving. These are all things you need to think of. What are you willing to miss in your childs life and do the pros outweigh the cons?
    Seana1

Answer by Seana1 at 6:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• If you're a single parent, you cannot join.

I'm an army wife and I think that it's a great life and I think that women should join if they want to.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 6:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My hubby is Air Force. The military is not taking single parents right now. If you want to give custody to someone else (like a family member?) and move without your child you can do that. They have papers you can fill out and everything. You may want to go talk to a recruiter about it. But I would suggest Air Force, they are much more family oriented with shorter training times, shorter and less frequent deployments, and higher quality standards of things like family housing and such. Just my suggestion.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Ya join, it is good for u and they will give u house allowances. I think it will benefit u just make sure u get a good sign on bonus
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• i want to join the reserves and y parents is willing to watch my daughter as long as its sommething productive........
    angelsmommy0721

Answer by angelsmommy0721 at 6:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I think that women in the army is fine....as long as they can do everything the men can. When my dh was in boot camp the women's requirements were not as stringent and they weren't made to carry the same gear! Not right. If you want to join then you should have to be able to carry your weight.

As for the rest of your question.....I think it sucks that bills are piling up but who will take care of your baby if you die?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• As for the rest of your question.....I think it sucks that bills are piling up but who will take care of your baby if you die?

oh come on!! any of us could die anyday!!! I could die in a car acc or walking down the street in a bad neiborhood. you can't decieded what you want to do with your llife because your scared of dieing...I think that if you want to join and you can then do it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My husband is an Army recruiter and I believe you CAN join as a single parent in the reserves. The benefits and pay aren't nearly as good as active army is, but it's something.

And to rebuttal on the Anon:30 question about who will take care of your child if you die... Every person who has a child should think about that the day they decide to keep the baby (after the pregnancy is confirmed). Every person can die at any time.... I don't believe that someone in the military has a higher chance of dying...
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 6:35 PM on Aug. 11, 2009