Help!! Need some answers................

Hi, I am 19 weeks pregnant and had an ultrasound today. Found out it's a girl. Happy about that. My Dr. had something called a quad screen drawn last month and gave me my results today. He is sending me to have a special ultrasound and said my number came back 1 in 250.......I am 33 years old, and have a normal, healthy 14 year old. I am freaking out!!!!! Next, he told me that the placenta is very low ( right over my cervix) and "most" of the time they move as the baby grows but not always......he said if you start bleeding I need to know right away. I left my Dr. completely stressed out. Anyone have either of these happen??? And what was the outcome???? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot!!!!

jamey720

Asked by jamey720 at 6:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• the placenta being over the cervix is called "placenta previa" I havent heard of actually previa moving so if that is the case, then you are probably going to have a c-section. If it isnt right over the cervix, which I know you said it is, then it can move as your uterus moves.

I know that the occurance of down's in someone my age (29) is 1 in 300 so 1 in 250 doesnt sound like it is any different then what might have been just based on your age. My doc automatically sends you for an NT (the special u/s) regardless of what your first quad screen shows. I had a quad screen drawn at 11 weeks, my NT at 13 weeks and another quad screen drawn at 16 weeks. I havent gotten the final result back yet (where they combined all 3) but my first draw & NT cut my risk down from 1 in 300 to 1 in 3000 so I am feeling pretty good about it
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I am not sure about the other test but, I had a placenta previa with 3 of my5 pregnancies and as the baby grows so will your uterus and it will usually move away as the uterus grows. not always mine did and I had no problems and had them all vaginally. my mom however had this with me and it did not move so, definitely call the doc if you have any bleeding. congrats and good luck!!!!!
    silly7

Answer by silly7 at 6:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2009