What responsibilities does your nanny have?

I have a nanny who we have had since before my toddler was born. I now have a new baby as well. She normally helps take care of kids and cleans. I pay here well. She has recently told me that be nanny for my daughter and cleaning is too much for her. She only works for us partime, once a week now. She picks up my daughter, feeds her and gets her down for a nap, other than that she cleans. This isn't too much to expect is it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She said she wont do anything u want her to do? Then fire her and get someone willing to work for the money.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 6:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Um..yes. Unless you're paying a hell of a lot, then I think it's too much to ask. I pay $900/mos. for a daycare center for my daughter and get zero cleaning out of that. haha.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• That is the whole point of a nanny, she is supposed to help that is y she is getting paid
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 6:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Then y would she pay her atall if she is not willing to help? She gets paid to do these things.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 6:33 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My impression of a nanny is to care for the children. Cleaning shouldn't even be expected of her, in my opinion. Perhaps running their clothes and bedding through the laundry. For cleaning you should get a housekeeper or maid.

Answer by Bmat at 6:37 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• If these were the conditions under which she was hired then it is to be expected. Although I have to say she obviously cant clean and look after the kiddies at the same time, if u r looking after the kiddies then she should clean and vice versa.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 6:41 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• "Most experienced nannies will not assume general housekeeping responsibilites such as parent's laundry, errand running, vacuuming, dusting, and bathrooms. If they do accept these responsibilites they will be expecting to be compensated accordingly."

Here is a list of what nanny's should be expected to do: http://www.nannynetwork.com/Library/faq/nanny-duties.cfm

Answer by Bmat at 6:41 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I'm a nanny for a family I absolutely adore. When I was hired, I was asked to do house chores. I will say that I was a bit shocked by the request. I had been with a few families & this was never expected. If I hadn't felt so comfortable with them, I'm not sure I would've taken the job.They do pay well & we have a great relationship. I am able to get the chores completed & the kiddo is very well behaved, so it works. If the toddler was ultra high maintenance, I'm not sure if I could do it, so that's one thing to consider. Also, I had a house cleaning service in my own home at one point, & they charged me 80 dollars a visit. So pay your nanny well if you have these expectations! ;o) Oh, to answer you question, the momma I work for just had a newbie & she gave me a raise & told me to just do what I can as far as the house cleaning goes.She stressed that if its too much, she'd rather have my attention on the kids than cleaning
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 7:41 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• You are trying to squeeze a full week of work in 1 day,you are what the law call slave labor,she isn't lazy just smart,I always thought a nanny helps with the kids,if,you want your house clean,hire a maid or clean your own house,if,you have a nanny,a maid,what do you do. You should be reported.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• You have 2 kids,and you want the nanny to clean,are you for real. And,what do you do,while the nanny is watching your kids and now you want her to clean too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2009