Could you help me with some peanut free ideas for kid lunches?

My kids attend a school that is totally peanut free. So I can't do the favorite of theirs...peanut butter and jelly. So I am needing some ideas for things to pack in there lunches that don't have any peanut products or haven't been around peanuts in the factory. So if you are a mom of a child that can not consume peanuts and deal with this on a daily basis or someone that has some ideas please help me!!!!

monkeysmama77

Asked by monkeysmama77 at 6:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in

• lunchables?
    ham and cheese, tuna, turkey and cheese type sandwiches
    leftovers - mac and cheese, spaghetti, soup, cassrole in a thermos
    leftover pizza
    salads
    cut up fruit and veggies with dips (caramel for fruit, ranch dip for veggies)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• You can use soynut butter or sunflower seed butter,, but this will get old really fast.

I have a long list of bagged lunch ideas that I have collected over the years. Send me a message offlist and I will be happy to send you a copy.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• lunchables...cheese sticks...yogurt with granola....my daughter's not a big peanut butter eater...so let me know if you need more ideas
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 7:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• lmao. I have never heard of a peanut free school.
    no disrespect intended. I learned something new today!
    Well, my mom always gave me those Lunchables brand pizza or little ham sandwiches for school when I was little because I hated peanut butter.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 10:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Don't forget to read lables, peanut butter is in some suprising products. You can make your own lunchables with crackers, cheese, lunchmeat. Go to kraft.com, they have a tab for school lunch ideas.

amber710: a lot of schools are going to nut free because a nut allergy can be deadly. Some kids have anaphalatic reactions just from breathing in the oils or touching something with nuts in it. Schools are just trying to keep kids alive.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• When they had the peanut recall last year our district offered sunbutter. the kids didn't seem to notice the difference.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• watch out with the lunchables because some of them will have reeses or butterfingers in them which of course contains peanut butter
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• It's not as hard as you might think to feed a child without peanut butter. That had been my DS's standby before my DD's first reaction and subsequent diagnosis of an allergy. Our lunch list is actually quite extensive and is often a combination of things from the following:

- bagel and cream cheese
    - crackers and cheese
    - cheese sandwich
    - tuna fish sandwich or tuna with crackers
    - thermos of mac-and-cheese or soup (you can also do chicken nuggets or dinner left overs)
    - yogurt
    - ham and cheese sandwich or turkey sandwich
    - cut up veggies and/or fruit

As someone else mentioned, lunchables can be a problem because of the candy they add to the packets. Just read labels and you'll be fine. Sunbutter is a great substitute for PB BUT it can be difficult to disguise between the two which could cause problems with staff thinking your child has a peanut butter sandwich.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:30 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• chicken salad wraps:

In a bowl, mix together diced, fully cooked chicken breast, halved red grapes, diced golden apple, and some plain yogurt

On one flour tortilla, place 1 leaf romaine lettuce, and spread chicken salad over lettuce.  Wrap it up, cut it in half, and wrap in in plastic wrap and pack it in the lunch sack.

MinstrelMommy

Answer by MinstrelMommy at 2:24 AM on Aug. 18, 2009