Should a person fear their god?

I know there are several religions that teach that their god can "smit" when he feels like he should. But, should that really be a part of religion at all? Why should a person fear a bring that is supposed to love them? I don't think fear should be a part of a persons religion. No one should do something just because they are afraid of what will happen if they don't.
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 6:47 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The only fear that we should have when it comes to God is when you deny him,God is a loving forgiving God, When you dont fear him and what he can do is a bigger fear in it self! Fear what God can do to the non believers! And that my friend is something to worry about!
    sweetnhonesty

Answer by sweetnhonesty at 7:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• This pretty much explains it all:

http://www.gotquestions.org/fear-God.html
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I agree that you shouldn't believe in something just because you are afraid of what will happen if you don't. That being said, I am Catholic and I don't fear God Himself, but I "fear" offending him. When I was a child my mom left fresh baked cookies on the counter once and said I couldn't have one until after dinner. Now, I thought about taking one when she left the room, but I didn't. This was not because I was afraid she would spank me or yell at me or whatever type of punishment she may have given, it was because I knew if I took one when she said not to that it wasn't just being disrespectful, but it would hurt and upset her that I just plain didn't care about what she wanted. I would have felt terrible knowing that I did something to hurt her like that. In that same sense, I avoid doing things I know God does not want me to do because I "fear" offending and hurting him like my mom in the example. Make sense?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I don't believe in fearing God. I don't believe that's what He wants, but instead that He wants a loving relationship, and we all know that in a REAL relationship, a HEALTHY relationship, fear and manipulation are not factors.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• you should fear God only if you have done something that makes you fear God. Murder, slave merchants (there are more slaves in the world now than ever before in human history), child abusers, spouse abusers, have reason to fear facing God.
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Let me re-word what I wrote in a way that makes sense lol.

The "fear" that we have of God is awe and respect deserving of a creator who spoke the world into existance, loved us enough to die for us and who watches out for each and every one of us. It is not a "terror." Even discussing Old Testament times, there was also no need to be terrified of God and there was never an instance of God "smiting" someone just because he felt like it. If you are wicked there is a consequence. If you are not wicked and follow God, there is a reward. God wants his children to follow him because that is their salvation. There are punishments for doing wrong because God is just.

My religion isn't about what I can pick and choose to make me feel good. I accept my religion and the justice of God and the consequences of sin because it's the tuth.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• To me, if you fear your God, you need a new God.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Leaves it to NovemberLove this time to explain since I have explained this many times on here in different posts.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• No I do not believe we should fear God/Goddess. As for offending them, not worried about that either. If I'm doing something so vile as to offend a deity then I'm not really living my life according to my faith.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I don't think any God should be feared. I don't believe in being afraid of offending them either. For example, in Christianity one must take Jesus in their heart and be filled with the Holy Spirit, etc. Well, if that has happened then what is there to fear? Because once a person has done such things then the "worldly" stuff is supposed to fall away and you are to be focused on God and his plan for you, etc. O.k. so I'm really condensing it and I know it's more than that, but anyway... if you have accepted Jesus then you have it in your heart to "please" Him. Yes there is still the chance to sin, but you are more likely to do things that make Him "happy" rather than offend Him. So there should be no fear really. Just the realization that you are better if you follow what you should.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2009