where do you draw the line on toys?

What is just not allowed in your home?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 6:47 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• No weapons for our kiddos! I think that we weren't exposed to all of the sex and violence from the media growing up, so maybe we, as a generation, just weren't as desensitized as the next generation. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'm not going to chance it :o) No Spongebob. It just seems geared toward adults IMO. I caught an episode once where Patrick Starfish was getting high off of some ocean seaweed. In another episode, Patrick and Spongebob were teaching Squidword how to do a panty-raid. (The hubbs used to watch it occasionally before our daughter was born). Seems like it should be on Adult Swim. Our little one is only 2 right now, but I hope we won't get involved in the whole electronic game system thing. We went out to dinner w/ family and my nephews spent the entire dinner playing w/ their DS's. They completely ignored everyone. Another time my neice spent an entire dinner texting on her cell. She was 12!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• we've had a no weapons policy since birth but since wimping out and allowing squirt guns this summer, son is freaking out for a sword. *sigh* I also hate those slutty dolls (I dunno their names) but luckily my girl is too young to know about 'em yet
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Bratz dolls!!! LOL I constantly get accused of looking like them. I just look at people and thing uh... thats not a compliment hahaha. But I definatly agree with the no weapons!! My hubby is a marine. So kids already ask him if he kills people ugh....
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 7:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• No violent toys, no slutty ass bratz dolls and no sponge bob.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• No slutty dolls. Thats it. My DD has toy guns and swords that she plays with daddy with so IMO its not a bad thing but thats just me.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 9:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Any kind of bratz type doll is not allowed. But we don't have to stress - we have so many that we encourage, that we don't have to deal with inappropriate presents. We encourage any open ended play toy, such as unit blocks, lego / duplo blocks, baby dolls, toy cars (not electronic) things that don't have one way to play with them. Our kids haven't received any inappropriate gifts, which is nice.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• if you are worried about gettin a toy that you dont want either regift it to somebody else, make a list of things you would want kind of like a baby registray or simply ask for the money n put it in a bank account or go buy the toys yourself. I choose to buy the toys and if my boys get something they dont want or i dont want them to have I put it up or give it to somebody else. It's mainly my baby daddy's family that just won't listen.
    binbon86

Answer by binbon86 at 10:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• WE didn't have Brat dolls when I was young, but we had Barbie and she can be just as bad. However, I played with Barbie til I was 14, and we had a boy on our street and we played with guns, army guys, GI Joe (sometimes he would date Barbie), He Man, Ninja Turtles, ya know all the violent ones. We turned out alright. I think it was because our parents explained the difference between real guns and play guns, and told us never to point even a play gun at someone's face or head. My parents and my friends parents never had any real guns, that we knew of or could find, not that we looked, to confuse us with. We knew real guns were heavier, and metal, and just like I tell my kid, if someone shows you a real gun, even if you're not sure if theyre lying, just come home, right away, don't play with it, don't look at it, just run home. I don't trust other people's kids, but I trust my own, just as my parents did. We teach them.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 10:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• DORA! i cant stand her. It has nothing to do with ethnicity either, so if anybody dares to say that ill scream! I dont know what it is, but i cant stand her!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• completely agree Mumma28! My DD has a cap gun-doesn't do anything but make a loud bang. We make her wear ear plugs, and teach her never to point it at anything except a target. When will parents start taking responsibility for teaching their children, rather than blaming everything on toys and television!
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2009