Did anyone else see the teen choice awards or have a child who did..because something was pretty disturbing

Well I did not see the show myself but my 14 yr DD and the 9 yr twins did. Then today my 14 yr Abby sent me an email with a link to a Youtube vid where someone talked about the award show. I watched and was APOLLED at what I saw and heard about Miley Cyrus! She wore extremly short shorts,spread her legs at one point and also had basicly a STRIPPER POLE near an icecream truck. Please if you didnt see the award show yourself, watch the video from the following link. I am curiouse as to what you ladies think of Miley Cyrus' "performance". Its not a clip but the pics are rather disturbing. I am concerned that my 9 year old daughters and 14 y/o were subjected to it as well.
The video (PLEASE WATCH BEFORE ANSWERING THIS QUESTION..IF YOU DIDNT SEE THE PERFORMANCE): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GcKTyw0sOs

xomommy25

Asked by xomommy25 at 6:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Why were 9 yrs olds watching w/o supervison?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• They were with their 14 yr sister. And believe me I was nto expecting THAT..but Anon what does that have to do with what I asked???
    xomommy25

Answer by xomommy25 at 7:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Well I watched a vid of the performance, and I have to say it wasn't as bad as it could have been, but there is no way in hell I'd let a child of mine go out dressed like her moving like that at 16. That was rather disturbing to see her prancing around in stripper boots and shorty shorts... some role models we have for teenage girls these days :(
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 7:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I think its only disturbing on the level of you wanting to make an issue out of it. If it had not been approved and appropriate then they wouldnt have allowed it. Am I shocked that Miley has done this? Yes and No. Yes because I had high hopes that she wouldnt turn into another Britney Spears. No because I beleive that she does what the current societal demands make her do. If she wants to stay famous and make money, and keep within her contract, she has to do what they design for her. But honestly, I saw the clip this morning on AOL and I really didnt think what she did was so bad that people need to flip out. Remember Miley is what, 16 now? So what you think is appropriate for 9 and 14 yrolds, is more normal when you are 16 going on 17. So keep that in mind too. Sorry if it (the clip) upset you, but what's done is done.
    asalynsedai

Answer by asalynsedai at 7:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Holy shtttt where the hell are her shorts. those are damn Underwear
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I agree where are her shorts? If a kid came to school wearing something like that here they would be sent home to change! but for some reason its okay to show it on a childrens television network
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I jsut watched the entire video clip. I've seen worse on TCA, but some people are saying "it wasn't a stripper pole, it was an ice cream truck with a pole"...well, it was a pole on a box with wheels, she did some stripper moves throughout the video, she wore booty shorts and a backless shirt with her bra exposed. Now, i really don't care b/c i don't let my kids (7 and under) watch any teen shows. But yes, i do think it's inappropriate for the target audience. And i read some follow up that her DAD choreographed the show with her.

After the nude with a sheet pictures and her claiming she was taken advantage of with those photos that she posed for, and now this, i'm convinced Miley is trying to play the innocent victim when she's acting sluty.

No wonder the 7 year old my kid was freinds with is not longer allowed over b/c she is too sexually explicit, and ALL she talkes about is Miley and iCarly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• i saw the whole thing (song & dance, not entire show). My kid didn't b/c they don't get to watch teen-content shows (not a teen, only 6). It was very remnant of a stripper dance. I thought it was a poor choice in costume, pole, and style of dance for a young audience. I don't think Miley is a good influence on young girls. I wonder how many girls are going to be dancing like that on the flag pole or tether ball poles?, lol.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 7:35 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K92_eYVZaY

Link to the dance.

The backup girls are just as bad.

I think its way too much for her age.

Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 7:37 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• oh my gosh Gealach! I though just what i saw from pics and heard about it was bad! But to see the real thing. Oh my goodness
    xomommy25

Answer by xomommy25 at 7:44 PM on Aug. 11, 2009