Child with a nasty habit

My daughter is 3 years old and ever since I can remember she is always touching herself. As soon as her diaper would come off she would be all in it. I tried gently discouraging her but then she would hide and do it and then I tried explaining to her that she needs to do this in private and not on the kitchen floor in front of the whole family! Now it has gotten to the point where she just down right looks like an adult in the positions she is assuming to do it and I find myself getting upset ( she is only 3!) She now uses the potty and so access has become alot easier for her. Someone told me to put tabasco on her fingers but I can't bring myself to traumatizing the poor girl. Can someone please give me some advice on how to curb this very public habit?

thalie81

Asked by thalie81 at 6:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do not use hot sauce on her fingers to burn her vagina, that is child abuse. Who ever said that is a total idiot! When you see her do it, make her wash her hands EVERYTIME. Stay consistent. Just say something like, please don't touch your privates if you aren't in the bathroom. Ask her if she sees you doing it or other people doing it. Do you mean she's getting into sexual positions? If that's the case, I would be a bit concerned.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Honestly I would not worrie unless there were signs of a yeast infection(reddenedd,swelling,rash,ect.) I have 4 boys and though they are diffrent than girls, they too have found "something new" and they will explore there bodies. She is not at an age that she understands the sexual ideals of touching herself.
    2manylilboys

Answer by 2manylilboys at 7:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Not that she is getting into sexual positions per say but she will lay on the floor and open her legs up. She used to do it on all fours because she thought that I couldn't see her luckily she doesn't do that anymore and the worse is when she is watching tv I have come in the room with her watching Dora and rubbing herself.
    thalie81

Answer by thalie81 at 7:17 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• It is completely normal. I did it when I was little too. Ask her doctor and he will tell you that it is normal. It feels good that it why she does it. Just tell her she can only do it in her room and not to do it around others.
    My mom would yell and scream at me for it and the only thing it did was make me fell bad about myself and learn to hide the behavior better. It made me embarrassed about my body and sexuality. Thankfully I have a wonderful dh who has finally helped me work through that.
    How you handle it will effect her for years to come. A gentle reminder that that behavior is only appropriate in her room should be sufficient.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Aug. 11, 2009