How can I make sure my cat only pees in her litter box

My hubby caught our cat peeing in our living room last night. She usually goes in her litter box. We have two dogs - an old golden retriever who does not have accidents and a young "cavapoo" who sometimes does. If this happens again, she will probably end up as an outside cat - and I really don't want to do this to her. We're about her 3rd or 4th owner - so I suspect this has happened before.

Asked by Mountainmom1994 at 8:52 AM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Pets

• Oh cleaning cat urine... so fun! I used to have a male cat, so I remember what that was like. Is it a male or female? If it's a male, then they ususally do that to "mark their territory". I was told that to prevent it you have to have them neutered before they "become of age". My cat was doing it and then I got him neutered, but he still kept doing it... so I kept him outside most the time and I scolded him EVERY TIME I caught him doing it again in the house. When I moved I gave him away to a friend so I don't know what happened with that. Good luck!

Answer by msp12r at 9:05 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• A healthy cat goes in the litter box. A cat who has stopped using the litter box and is peeing elswhere is trying to tell you something. Take it to the vet.

Answer by vbruno at 11:12 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Sometimes if a box is not perfectly clean, they will go else where. If it has only happened the one time...maybe she was not able to make it all the way to her box. It happens. LOL

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 12:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

•  Watch her pee if you notice a mucus or blood she could have an infection.  Also buy a second litter box, most vets recommend two litter boxes per one cat.  Good luck I hope everything works out for you. 

Answer by T.W. at 2:16 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• ok I have work as a vet asst for 7 years now. Usually cats who pee outside of the box signals 1 of 2 issues. either it is a health issue and needs to see the vet...or it could be behavioral. Sometimes behavioral issues are never really known. Neutering or spaying a cat does not stop a cat from urinating outside of the litterbox or from spraying. I would at least rule out medical issues before pursuing other methods. I have seen people take their pet to the pound bc they didnt want to treat a UTI. Good Luck, I hope it is a health issue that can be treated bc I know behavioral issue can be hard to handle or "fix".

Answer by Anubis8733 at 10:26 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Hello Mountain Mom,

ok I agree with the Vet Assistant, but I have a question for you.
    Have you changed your habits lately? Are u spending less time with your cat? You will not believe how spoiled they can be. One of my cats gets so mad at me, when I don't have time for her she purposely throws up near my bed. I took her to the vet. She is fine. So...#1. Make sure the kitty litter is clean and don't put the box in a different place. Also do not put the food in a different place. #2. Spend as much time as u can with ur cat and of course #3 go to the vet and have him/her checked out.

Take care....Sylvi

Answer by MamaAndretti at 2:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• KEEP her box clean, or you can get this spray that you spray around the house that the cat will not pee. There is a home remity that you can make but not sure what it is righ off hand. You might be able to look it up.
    or she is looking for your attention that she is needing and showing you look I'm still here.

Answer by WillMakeIt at 11:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Once they start going somewhere other than the box, they'll keep going there until the smell goes away (which it won't unless you treat the bacterial growth under the carpet). We had to cut away our carpet and replace the padding before our cat stopped peeing in the same spot.

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2008