Health Care - government vistors coming to parents homes (from the bill)

So no one says I'm making this up here's the reference:

Sections 440 and 1904 in the house bill on page 838
under the heading "home visitation programs for families with young children and families expecting children." The programs (provided via grants to states) would educate parents on child behavior and parenting skills.

The bill says that the government agents, "well-trained and competent staff," would "provide parents with knowledge of age-appropriate child development in cognitive, language, social, emotional, and motor domains ... modeling, consulting, and coaching on parenting practices," and "skills to interact with their child to enhance age-appropriate development."

---it took Chuck Norris to actually read the bill and find this.

So, do you want government agents coming into your home "teaching" you how to be a mom?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I just want to add, if you're otherwise for the bill, you can still tell your rep how you feel about this section.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Nothing better than a Chuck Norris joke, no matter how its used. :P

Does this say anything about it being mandatory?
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 7:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My guess is they want liberal/socialist indoctrination to begin before birth... Their desire to control our lives is unprecedented in this country and out of control.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 7:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• it says The state "shall identify and prioritize serving communities that are in high need of such services, especially communities with a high proportion of low-income families."

So not everyone will get it, but the state gets to choose who will.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Ah I see.. so basically they are saying those with low income arent capable of being good parents and need "training" to do so?
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 7:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Interesting... First, does it say anything about this being mandatory?

Second, it's basically an expansion of the parents as teachers program. I think that's awesome.

I loved being a part of parents as teachers... I wasn't ever left with the questions of if my child was progressing normally. I wish they had PAT here.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 7:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Will I have to take down that 'Obama joker poster I have framed?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I never felt like they were "teaching me how to be a mom". But I always learned something new about their development.

It was actually very helpful during my husband's last deployment. I knew that my child was reacting normally to a highly stressful situation...
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 7:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• For anyone interested, here's the parents as teachers website: http://www.parentsasteachers.org/

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Agree with mir
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:38 PM on Aug. 11, 2009