Do you have alcohol for the adults at a kids birthday party?

I don't mean a keg of beer or anything, but do you provide drinks for the adults? Or let them bring their own?

clhadley

Asked by clhadley at 7:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• DusterMommy Seriously, if you can't stand to attend a party and drink only punch, juice, soda, whatever......don't come.

This last comment is exactly what I am referring about hun. The OP never suggested she can't host a party without alchohol nor that there are adults present who couldn't stand to be at a party without drinks. You are jumping a little beyond the immediate question with that last comment and it sounds like you are making big assumptions about why the OP is even asking. I'm not trying to attack you, and it wasn't you solely I was referring to in my first reply, but I notice a lot of women around here try and go above and beyond answering a question and end up turning the post into a debate about something entirely different. In all honesty, the ACTUAL question if you read it is "do you provide the drinks or do you ask the adults to bring their own". I think the OPs preferences are pretty clear in that case.
    rebabeach2

Answer by rebabeach2 at 8:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Nope. No alcohol at a child's party (or anyone underage), and NO they don't bring their own. If they did, I'd assume a drinking problem if they couldn't go 3 hours without something.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I always have a few smirnoff ice and beer! No hard liquor.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 7:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• No, If it was on a holiday then yes. My middle son was born on the 4th of July, so there is alcohol at his birthday party because we host the big BBQ for our entire family. But as a general rule, no. If somebody wants to bring a beer or two for themselves it would be ok, but we wouldn't provide it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I would just have byob. I find no problem with "adult drinks" at a kids birthday party but Its not really a "drinking" type of day like new years or 4th of July.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 7:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• No. My children are only 1, almost 3 and 5 years old, there's no need for alcohol at a party for any one of them. The only adults besides family members would be here with children the same ages anyway and I'm not condoning them drinking and driving afterward at all and especially not with small children in the car with them. Once they get older, maybe we will allow guests to bring their own, I'm not sure yet, but regardless most of the people we hang out with aren't big drinkers anyway so it probably won't even come up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I don't think that it's appropriate to have alcohol at a child's birthday party. JMHO.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My dad and his friends always had liquor at any party we had. W ewould just kind of gather everyone together so there'd be 20+ people there. They'd usually drink some beer during the day. But at night once all the kids were in bed it turned into a parents party.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 7:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I wish it was like that in my family
    every time I say NO LIQUEUR one of my damn uncles end up bringing it on the low
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 7:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I think NOT If someone wants to drink then they can stay at home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2009