What is the best food to feed my dog

We were feeding him ol roy but I heard it is bad for the dog and got recalled. That scares me so bad. We were paying $8 for a 20lbs bag. What is a better brand that is close to that price that is better and healthier fora dog. Purina,dog chow or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Pets

• We used to feed our dog Ol' Roy and she had constant stomach problems and diarrhea. We switched to iams ($19 for a 20lb bag) and she has been good ever since... So I would suggest iams, it is more money, but for us it is worth it.... JMO
    Inkedmommy007

Answer by Inkedmommy007 at 7:42 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Unfortunately, cheap food is made with cheap ingredients. At that price point, they're all the same and none of them are great.

At the moment, I'm feeding our dog Iams ProActive Health, which I get at WalMart for $36/40 lb bag. I still don't think it's ideal, but the food we were using became unreasonably expensive.

We actually started with Canidae, which cost $40/40 lbs. Then the price went up and the size of the bag went down. Now they charge $45/35 lb!

There's a balance between choosing food that's good for your dog and trying to find the best price. I did quite a bit of research to find out what was important in a dog food. For now, this is a good compromise.
    SelaCarsen

Answer by SelaCarsen at 7:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• You can try Pet Pride from Kroger (it may be other places, thats just where I get it from here). Its $14 for 36 pds and my dogs do fine on it. I used to feed Nutro but with 4 dogs and the economy we had to step down from that. It doesn't cause diarrhea like Ol Roy and some Pedigree brands do, and has less fillers than most of the cheaper brands. Good luck!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 8:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

This website has a lot of info about dog food. Basically any supermarket brand is going to be full of fillers and not very nutritious for your dog. Worse yet you will be feeding more food than you would be if you bought the better brands. While your initial payment is slightly higher, you save on the less amount you will need to feed and on your vet bills. There is also a reduction in bodily waste because more nutrients are being absorbed from the food. I feed Taste of the Wild. Costs me about $25 dollars and lasts me a month for one 50lb dog.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:05 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Iams is more expensive however it has more nutritional value and your dog will not eat as much
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 9:42 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Ol' Roy is complete crap! We give ours Science Diet....about $35 for 40 lb. bag....the only issue I have with Iams is the animal testing they do and I don't mean they test it out by feeding it to them! they feed it to puppies of all breeds and to see what effect it has on them they actually cut out pieces of the flesh and muscle to test it and they do all this while the dogs are awake...it's quite sick really...anyway, that's why I don't do Iams.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:50 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Iams is crap: CLICK HERE

You are paying a lot more for the same junk as in the cheap food - here is the summary:

"This type of deal is called “co-packing.” One company makes the food, but puts someone else’s label on it. This is a very common arrangement in the pet food industry. It was first illustrated by the Doane’s and Diamond recalls, when dozens of private labels were involved. But none were as large or as “reputable” as Iams, Eukanuba, Hill’s, Purina, Nutro, and other high-end, so-called “premium” foods."

They are all made by Menu Foods, Inc.

Heather2001

Answer by Heather2001 at 2:19 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Heather is correct. Science Diet, Eukanuba and other foods commonly found in vet offices are NOT the best. Here's a little lesson. Do you know that vets do not have classes on food? If they have any training for nutrition its done by the big companies that sell Eukanuba, Iams, ect..
    They also get big percentages for carrying those products in their offices.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:21 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Anything you find at Walmart is NOT good (unless yours carries Maxximum Nutrition * about $14/20lbs...it is an okay food with no corn, soy, wheat, or gluten and no animal byproducts, artificial colors/flavors, or preservatives...the only thing I don't like about it is that it has menadione *google that if you don't know what it is). Diamond Naturals ($38/40lbs; make sure it's the Naturals not regular Diamond) and Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul (about $38/35lbs; also made by Diamond) are two more decent brands. You can get it at any feed store that sells Diamond products. I feed Taste of the Wild (all their formulas are grain-free) Pacific Stream, also made by Diamond, from my local feed store. It costs me $42.50 for 30lbs and lasts a little over a month. My 38lb dog eats 1.75 cups/day and my 27lb dog eats 2/3 cup/day.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:36 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• OP...Thanks ladies. SOme of these brands I have never heard of. So thanks for letting me know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Aug. 12, 2009