Sentences using high frequency words?

Before anyone freaks out about sight reading or phonics, my girls both started reading at age 2 and I used BOTH systems and both work well together. And Yes, my girls go outside to play, they’ve had their vaccination, they eat dirt, they are normal kids.

Now we are beyond that, my 2 year old is doing very well with reading, spelling and "understanding" written words, but I want to start incorporating more sentences for basic book reading. My oldest learned to read the first 100 words rather quickly, but I didn’t think about teaching her to spell them until she was around 4, so I’m trying to develop a way to teach my youngest faster since she’s so eager.

Where can I find ready made sentences using the first 100 HF words?

Works4Mom.com

Asked by Works4Mom.com at 8:01 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• goggle fry and dolch words -- there a couple (I will try to find links if I can) that have sentences and/or whole stories.

Also the See Jane type stories of the past are high frequency stories. There still some books like that out there.
    Fun ones too.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:14 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• To be honest with you that is ALOT to put on a 2 year old child.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:22 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Ohhhh I read something similiar on a UK website.

Ummm www.ladybird.co.uk

Be careful though some British spellings can be different. I have been using the UK books for Holly as that is what I am familiar with for reading. I think we call them Keywords. Anyway take alook. It's more of a reading thing though. But you can use them for spelling too I should think.
    Sharron_

Answer by Sharron_ at 1:59 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• KalebsMommee, no, it’s not A LOT (2 words) to put on a 2 year old. The problem in the U.S. is that we think our children are stupid until they’re 5. My oldest daughter was tested by child services (because she is so advanced) and we were told she was perfectly normal. She isn’t a genius, just an average child. If my average children can read at age 2 then every child should be reading at 2. Do you stick in a video for your child while you take a shower or make a phone call? Why not put in a teaching video – yes, that’s all it took. Now I’m making my own learning videos, my girls love them. Painless learning.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 7:42 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I have to agree with KalebsMommee...it's a bit much. Yeah there are plenty of 2 year olds than can read. Mine didn't when they were too. My 3 year old still doesn't. My 7 year old didn't start reading until he was in school and he's doing just fine. I chose to spend my time with him doing other things. I didn't know how to read when I was 2 and look at me know, a college educated woman---who would've thought?!? ha ha ha
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 10:59 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• You know, I was leaning towards your "side" of the issue until you unfairly attacked another poster.

No one thinks their child is stupid until they are 5 and that is an UNFAIR hasty generalization.

If she is so advanced, then her IQ should have tested higher. Reading is not all there is to being advanced. I have two "advanced" children who have been through all the testing. If she is truly "advanced" it would be in more than just reading.

How can a child read if they can't spell? Other than the most common sight words, they have to be able to spell to be able to read properly, and the reverse.

Just because your "average" 2 year old can read does NOT mean every 2 year old can read. The average 2 year old should NOT be reading! Spelling, sounding words, blending sounds, writing letters and words is an advanced skill for a THREE year old.

My 4 year old was tested, He is just below genius and just now reading.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Anonymous, I didn't say she was ONLY reading. However, primarily anyone who can read before kindergarten is considered advanced - it's very sad.

Here is a question for you: Why do people post their opinions and NOT answer the question. I didn't ask for an opinion, I ask: Where can I find ready made sentences using the first 100 HF words?

I didn't attack the poster, I also didn't ask the poster for her opinion. Go back and re-read my post while smiling, it sounds a bit different.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 2:24 PM on Aug. 12, 2009