Please Help!!! What would you do? ? about doctor visit.

My two year old got bit by an ant Sunday at my MIL's. His leg was very swollen, it was red and hot, he had a low fever, was very tired, and his voice was horse or raspy. We thought it was an allergic reaction, but he didn't have a problem breathing so we waited until we got home and took him to his doc. 2day. We had to see another doc. and she walked in the room telling me that an insect bite wouldn't cause him to be tired. She said his leg wasn't swollen. I said I know it was yesterday. We were worried that if one bite would do that what would happen if he got bit by more? She looked at his ears, said he had two ear infections, and said she sent the prescription to the pharmacy and left. His ears aren't red, he has no fever, and says his ears don't hurt. SHE PRESCRIBED A MED. HE IS ALLERGIC TO!! Would you take your child back tomorrow to see if his doc. thinks it an ear infection and tell about the med.??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I would leave a courteous but firm message explaining what you think is the matter with your son, what you believe happened to him and explain completely why you believe he is really sick. I have learned that waiting for the doctors to try and guess what is wrong leaves you and your child at a disadvantage because sometimes you can fall through the cracks and because the doctors are so busy, if you are not a firm advocate for your child they will tend not to stop and think about other possibilities. I would also try to always see the same doctor and if not, then try to leave a message for him/her to call you back. It is way too dangerous to not be a strong advocate for your child, especially now that doctors are ALWAYS so busy, sometimes I feel like a number in the waiting room! Good luck!
    supercraftymom

Answer by supercraftymom at 8:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I would and file a complait agianst the doctor for the allergic drug. Take a little time and read a chart a bit or ask. It sounds like she just didn't want to be bothered.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• It does sound like he was allergic to the bite. My son is allergic to a lot of bug bites, but the reactions usually aren't as severe as losing his voice, mainly red and a lot of swelling around the bite. I would call his doctor in the morning-first thing and report the other doctor. And ask for the next time what you should do should his doctor be out of the office and you need to see someone else, I definately would not see the same one that filled in before.
    adove01

Answer by adove01 at 9:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I would call and talk to his regular doc because of the medicine mistake! One the flip side, unless you are trained to look into your kids ear, you really can't say if it's red or not. Chances are he had ear infections and you just didn't know. My daughter never has any problems when she's sick so it's usually a well visit or a follow up where we find the ear infections. The tiredness and horse voice could be from an infection,, though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My son has had more ear infections then I can count (he has had 4 sets of ear tubes and he is only 4 years old) and there is no way as a parent, unless he blows an ear drum from the fluid pressure or has tubes that allows the fluid to drain out, that you could know for sure if he has an ear infection. My son has hardly EVER complained about his ears hurting with his numerous infections, nor has my daughter with any of hers. So pain is NOT necessarily a signal of an ear infection. Did you look in his ears with the otoscopy? How do you know they arent red?

As for the med... yes, I would complain about that!! Did you know he was allergic to it before he was prescribed it? What anti-biotic was it?
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:01 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My sons ears never hurt when he had ear infections, he just got very high fevers. As for the doc prescribing a med your child is allergic to, YOU could have told her that when she gave you the prescription or told you want she was giving him. Doctors are not god, they don't remember everything about a patient (especially one they don't normally see). It is up to the parent to make sure the child is getting the proper care. My son has been going to the same doctor for 12 years and his doc still forgets he is allergic to penicillin, it happens. Get over it. You can call the doc you normally see and tell him what happened.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:34 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• if u thought he was having a allergic reaction to the ant bite u could of giving him benydril to counteract it...it sound like to me hes coming down with a summer cold...as far as the med thing goes i would have spooken up befor she left the room or i would of went out the room to the nurse and requested to see another dr right away...trust me i have done this to my dr office when im not happy with the end results do it enough times and they start taking their time with u and ur kids to get the whole story and make the proper diganoses
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 5:03 PM on Aug. 12, 2009