My mom thinks I should contact Dr. Phil.... do you think I have a chance?

Sems like every where I go someone is saying something about my DD's weight.... she is 14 1/2 months old, and weighs 27 pounds and she is approx 32 inches tall.... Even her doctor will sit at her appt and say "how are you chunky girl".... the fat nurse says "Oh! Isnt she a big one?"(Yes, I do look at people and think things, but would never point it out or say it to them, Example: I wouldnt tell the nurse she looks fat)... Today at walmart, not just a shopper, but an EMPLOYEE walked by and said "OMG, Did you see how freakin big that baby was?!?!?" to her co-worker. When I brought this to managements attention the lady looked at me like I was wrong for being offended and asked if I knew the woman..Come on now, if I knew her I would be taking it up with her and not an assistant manager. This is what lead moms and fathers to not feeding their children and them having anorexic problems.... WHat are some of your views on this

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Am I the only one that thinks the baby should just be left alone? Her diet is fine...she's just a chunky baby. As long as your pediatrician is ok with her diet, there's no need to tweak it. If she likes Gerber/Beech Nut meals, then give them to her. My daughter still has pureed fruits and veggies on occasion. Nothing wrong with that.

. Some kids are bigger than others. It's not like you're feeding her chicken nuggets and fries every day. Relax momma.

My daughter is about 20 pounds and is almost 14 months old. I am tempted to tweak her diet sometimes, but I have to realize that she's just smaller than average. But she's healthy. That's the important thing.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:05 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• honestly to me, as long as your child can do what he/she is supposed to be doing for their age than i don't see any problems with kids weights, they grow into their bodies eventually. i would never say anything with in a parents or child's ear shot though, that is not called for. if a child can't walk or roll over or something like that b/c of their weight than to me that is when its a problem.
    the nurse and doctor are probably just trying to make conversation and maybe him calling her a chunky girl is his idea of being funny or sweet. like i call my son my little chunky monkey (he's 2 months old, so he doesn't know what i'm saying when he gets a little older i won't say that)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I doubt it's a problem, but I would examine her diet. Write down everything she eats, and think about how healthy it is. If most of it is, you're good.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• i think people whould lay off
    my son was like 32 lbs at 16 months, but he didnt eat junk all the time, i thin kit is only a problem if that is the case
    he is about to be 6 this month and is 48 lbs (normal size for his age)
    he grew out of his chunkyness and as long as she is not boss when it comes to food and doesnt likve on junk yours prob will too
    i think chuckie babies are cute, who wants an anorexic looking baby
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I suspect that your family would benefit from a consultation with a nutritionist or a dietician; If Dr. Phil is one of these, then by all means make an appointment. Here is the problem: by the end of next year, one have of American children will be both undernourished and overweight; one third of American children will develop type 2 diabetes in their lifetime. Increase the healthy foods that our family eats: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes. Read labels; don'tbuy foods with high fructose corn syrup.

Here is a link to the Canadian food pyramid; it is much less influenced by Big Ag than the US pyramid:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/basics-base/quantit-eng.php

Answer by rkoloms at 9:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Well I have a Daughter who's 14 months and she weighs 24.5lbs and is 32 inches long and no one ever says she's over weight not even her Dr. She might just be a healthy baby and if you know you don't over feed her then I wouldn't worry about it.

mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 9:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My daughter was a preemie and they had to put her on high calorie formula b/c she wasn't gaining with breastmilk...well long story short she became my lil butterball. And the doctors would comment on how chunky she was and we'd all joke about it...she is 5 yrs old now and has filled out very nicely. Have no worries dear...ignore their comments and as she moves more and grows she will grow into HER perfect body type. Good Luck!!!
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 9:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Some babies just lengthen out - and catch up on their weight. Or vice versa.
    They get "wider" before they get longer.
    My son is the longer type - so he looks considerably thin - but not sickly thin.

As long as your little girl functions like a happy little girl should be, and has fun... they should just back off.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 9:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• OP HERE--- I will tell you what she eats.... let me know what you think.... For breakfast she gets a yogurt (4-5 ounces), lunch is apple sauce and bananas, or sometimes spaghetti o's or mac and cheese (small portion of course), dinner is a gerber or beech nut mini meal.... and milk before bed. All apple sauce is no sugar added, and apple juice is no sugar added and half water and half juice, she gets that about 11:00 am and 4:30 pm, she gets water to take to bed with her at nap time in a sippy cup
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• rkoloms- i was talking about Dr.Phil on TV.... and BTW she was on good start formula which is where the dr thinks she got her chunkiness from, she said it has different sugars then similac or enfamil
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Aug. 11, 2009