Do you always feel your contractions?

I know this sounds stupid but do you always feel your contractions when you have them? There have been quite a few times that I have felt my stomach and it was hard all over and I felt little pressure but no pain. I know it wasn't my baby because my whole stomach was hard not just where she was. Am I crazy or stupid? Is that a still a contraction?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its probably a BH contraction because usually they just make your stomach hard and are not painful although they can be. But I have to say the day I went into labor with my dd, I was out with my mom and she would look at my belly every so often and notice it getting tighter, I never noticed it and she was like I think you are having contractions and I was like no way they are suppose to hurt well a few hours later my water broke, I was like I think you were right mom. LOL
    Abbysmommy321

Answer by Abbysmommy321 at 8:53 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Yes. There is a common misconception that contractions HAVE to be painful. Braxton Hicks contractions are no less contractions, just earlier and not as strong. My early contractions were pleasant. They get stronger as labor progresses and can be painful for some women. Some women are lucky and they aren't painful at all. Good birthin vibes to ya! :)
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 9:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• oh yes you feel contractions. but the more painful and closer together the better it would mean baby is coming good luck
    uglybetty732

Answer by uglybetty732 at 9:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I just felt the contractions for the last hour... I was just fine before... They told me afterwards I must have been in labor for quite a while! I felt my belly getting hard but no pain...

I also had a car accident when I was 7 months pregnant and I had to stay the weekend at the hospital because I had contractions but I never felt any pain.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 9:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• When I went into labor, I thought I was having Braxton Hicks.... My SO had went to the races that day and wouldn't be home for hours... I layed in bed, tried to eat ice chips. Four hours later, he gets home, but by that time I'm already a raving b*tch... I refused to let him take me, and I called my mom...LOL Three hours later he was born...
    Count them. If you're worried go see a doctor.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 9:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• with my pregnancies my contractions were mild pressure and slight cramping - not really PAIN but uncomfortable. although with #3 they were for the last 6 weeks and miserable.

once my water was broken at the hospital after I'd been admitted in labour the pain started.

I even had a nurse tell me that I was not in enough pain to be in 'real labour' then she got 'stuck' checking my cervix when a contraction came on. she then agreed that yes, I was in labour.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• "I even had a nurse tell me that I was not in enough pain to be in 'real labour' then she got 'stuck' checking my cervix when a contraction came on. she then agreed that yes, I was in labour. "

Hahaha, they told me the same thing... But then they checked and saw I was fully dialated and they could already see my daughter's hair... lol... Before that they even made me wait for 15 minutes in the waiting room even that I told them that that I had contractions just 15 to 20 seconds apart... I was really squeezing my legs together... I can laugh about it now but back then I was starting to cry because nobody took me seriously and I thought I would have my baby at the waiting room!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 9:35 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I didn't feel my contractions at all until i got induced and the picotin really kicked in. they were looking at the monitor saying "you are having a contraction" and i was like really? lol before i went in to be induced i was 2 cm dilated already, and im assuming i had to of had contractions to get that way. maybe your situation is like mine
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 10:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2009