autism and related disorders? i think my son maybe autistic, im going to set up an appointment to have him evaluated, but what were some signs of your kids b4 diagnosis?

he has severe speech delay, really ODC, has to line up everything, has full melt downs over "silly" things and still will not make eye contact. i had suspicions b4 but after the last 2 melt downs im concerned, one was over a bag of M&Ms, he threw himself to the floor kicking screaming biting and scratching himself in the middle of wal mart, then tonight he was lining up fridge magnets and my 20 month old DD took one and again with the full meltdown. otherwise he is really smart and taught himself how to play the piano... he will be 5 in january....also any sites that have info would be good i tried looking stuff up and only got generic info.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have worked for many years with preschool aged children with Autism. Your son does have several characteristics of the disorder. The meltdowns that are occuring are most likely from being frustrated because he cannot express himself with words. He cannot tell others what is bothering him or make his wants and needs known. He needs a way to communicate either with picture symbols (PECS) or sign language. When you take him for his evaluation, make sure that the evaluators fill out a questionaire with you(CARS or GARS). Make sure the evaluator completes more than one test on your son, maybe an IQ test, language test, etc. But most definantly make sure they observe your child for more than 5 minutes or maybe on more than one day. I used to work for an agency that has a great web sight. Go to google and type in Autism Training Center, Marshall University, Huntington, WV. Their sight has many great resources. Good Luck
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 3:46 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My son doesn't have autism. However, my DH's nephew does.
    I believe he was diagnosed sometime around the age of 7? At least 7, possibly 8.
    Everyone suspected he might have it, except for his parents - because he'd kind of... tune you out. He wouldn't listen to whatever you had to say, and he'd talk REALLY fast and lose interest or train of thought in the conversation equally as fast. His motor skills were quite delayed as well.
    I've never met him - problems between parents and etc.
    But this is what I've been told by my MIL. He was pretty much on target for the first 5 years of his life or so, and then from that point on, it was just down hill.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 8:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Contact me anytime you need some help or a listening ear!
    LovetoTeach247

• My sister in law wrote about this on her blog... hope it helps:

http://lisaclaussen.blogspot.com/2009/06/diagnostic-criteria-for-autism-and.html
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 11:44 AM on Aug. 12, 2009