MY BABY HAS A EAR INFECTION AND WILL NOT TAKE HIS MED. HELP!?!?!?

My 11 mo. 3 week old son will not take his antibiotics! I have tried everything!! I even took it bake to the pharmacy today and had flavor added- they didnt tell me yesterday that it was nasty and see if I wanted them to add flavor!! I have tried everything, I can not get it into his belly!! ANY IDEAS THAT I MIGHT NOT HAVE TRIED????

sarahdicksonjr

Asked by sarahdicksonjr at 9:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm assuming its liquid.

put the syringe between the cheek and the gum and insert to the very back of the mouth - almost into the throat. squirt it in as fast as you can - it should go straight down the back of the mouth and into the throat. and then give a bottle or pacifier to suck on.

he will choke and gag a bit, but the automatic reflex is to swallow.

I'd also suggest swaddling to control those arms.

we had to medicate my youngest for a seizure disorder and that was the only way we could get it in her.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• with my daughter, someone held her and had their arms around her arms so she couldn't squirm too much and they held her head still as well. then put the syringe in the back of the mouth like the above post said and cover his mouth with your hand so he can't spit it out. its not fun at all but we had to hold mine down in order for her to take anything for ear infections or motrin etc.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• or you can put it in applesauce the doc told me that was ok for kids meds.
    take an ounce of juice or formula and put it in that, that way its not put into a whole bottle or cup and wasted if he won't drink it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:17 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I hate giving kids meds. I agree with hypermamaz.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 9:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• "almost into the throat. squirt it in as fast as you can - it should go straight down the back of the mouth and into the throat. and then give a bottle or pacifier to suck on."

You don't do it fast!! That can cause him to aspirate the medication.. Not a good thing!

Squirting it into the back of his mouth is a good thing when done slowly in small amounts. You may have to cup his mouth so he doesn't spit it out and possibly hold his nose for a second if he refuses to close his mouth and swallow.

My son was on quite a few different meds when he was younger so I have plenty experience of fighting and restraining just to make him take them.
    Also another thing to do is wrap him up in a sheet before hand so he is easier to restrain.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:35 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• It will probably take 2 people....
    Some one to hold him still and the other to give the meds
    Squeeze his cheecks to make a fish face (it's harder to spit like that) If you don't have a think syringe like 3 mL ask for one. Then place the syringe on the side of the cheeck towards the back of the mouth and do small squirts. After you squirt a little do a fast puff of air in your child's face... it causes a gasp reflex and your child should swallow. A bunch might still get spit out.. but just keep at it. And Praise your child when they are done even if it was a battle.
    I wouldn't mix it in any foods or drink for 2 reasons... it will still taste bad and then they have to take even more icky stuff. And 2 if you hide it in foods your child might think you are always tricking them with icky stuff and stop eating too.
    If you still have no luck call your pediatrican back... maybe they can get a new medication
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:40 AM on Aug. 12, 2009