Anyone else?

So last year my husband and I made close to 90k. I was laid off in April, and he was also laid off recently... We are on food stamps and I am collecting unemployment. We are both looking for jobs and there is NOTHING (we are in a rural area that was lacking employment before the economic decline). We own our home, so cant just up and move and probably wouldn't be able to sell anyways. I have never been in this situation. Luckily we dont fight over money, so thats good... but I dont see a way out of this... Any advice, or anyone in my same boat. Please do not give me at home business opportunities. I dont have the time or money to waste on scams.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• Am in the same boat. Husband has been laid off for SIX MONTHS. Its ridiculous! He's put in applications everywhere from shipyards to mcdonalds and walmart. BUT STILL NOTHING!!! So good luck, your not the only one huney.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I think there are a lot of people in this situation and sadly many lost their home. Consider yourself lucky. I would continue taking advantage of state assistance.. i.e. food stamps, medicaid, TANF, if your state supplies that. Look for part time jobs in the meantime. Keep promoting yourself and looking for jobs. You may need to commute. Good Luck.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 9:19 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My thing is I cant do part time. For one, it would be less than I would make with unemployment, and I would lose Medicaid for my daughter. It seems never ending...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• The economy SUCKS! my BF was seasonally employed last fall and this spring,and was supposed to go back to work at the end of this month-then all the sudden the company ended up getting rid of everybody! He got unemployment during his off time and its already ran out-so he has NO income at all coming in! We've both put in 100's of applications-and submitted resumes all over the place-and havent gotten anywhere! I even tried selling avon which didnt get me anywhere! I've done babysitting off and on when I can get it,but other than that I'm broke! Luckily we're living in my parents home-but still being broke is AWFUL! Good Luck!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• It's hard on everyone,I'm disabled and I use a stair-glide,the company told me,if,I didn't pay for the last month,they will come get my chair,the bills are always coming,I do wish you all be financially blessed good things are soon to come your way.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Uh, why would you loose medicaid? You can work on be on medicaid at the same time.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• because she would probably be making too much to qualify...I'm guessing....I think a lot of us are in much the same situation...my hubby is looking for work too....good luck..
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 9:35 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• If I make more than like 18k a year, I lose medicaid. Even part time, I would make that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• A job delivering pizzas is still a job. I'm sure there are jobs, you just need to be willing to sacrifice a little dignity for the sake of your family.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 9:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I am willing to sacrifice... Did you read the response... If I deliver pizzas, I wont have insurance for my daughter. Also I will lose food stamps, and have to live on even less, because I would lose unemployment. Trust me, my dignity is not an issue. I am willing to sacrifice!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2009