do you wash your kids mouth out w/soap?

my daughter is 3 1/2 today after telling her 7 different times throughout the day to stop spitting or sticking her tongue out at me when she didn't get her way, i put some joy on my pinkie and put some on her tongue and made her wait a minute before i gave her juice to clean it out. i felt kinda bad about it b/c my parents used bar soap when we used foul language and i hated it. so i'm just curious as to how many other people still use this as a form of punishment and if so does it actually work? i had to do it twice for it to sink in (like 3 hours later the tongue came out again so the soap came out again too) and for the rest of the day she didn't do it, so we'll see.

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 9:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I had it done to me growing up and I've turned out just fine! I have done it to both of my children. worked on my oldest like a charm. My youngest hasn't caught on yet. As for the person that said "Don't abuse your child" REALLY???? The toxins--yeah they are in there, but she's not giving it to her to drink. I wouldn't use it as a first option (same as you didn't) but when you've done everything else it has to be done. If you threaten her with it and never do it, that won't work either! Hopefully she will learn after today. Every child is different, good luck! :)
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I would never do that to my daughter!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 9:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Mine would probaly like the soap...but I dont see a problem with it...not like shes drinking the bottle...if it works more power to you, shell pick up on it quick.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't do that either. Seems very cruel.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• it does seem mean to me as well, however i tried everything else today. she got put in time out the first 4 times about it (then talked to), she lost her snack and tv time the 5th time, the 6th time she got a spanking, and none of it worked. so i had to try something else, shes been doing this for weeks now and i'm fed up with it, i've never even shown her something like that, not even in jest when i'm playing with her would i spit at her or stick my tongue out at her. so today it was that or i was really afraid i was gonna bop her on the mouth.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I have used soap in both of my boys mouthes when they were young, the are 9 and 12 now and have no ill effects from the incidents and it "cleaned" up thier language pretty darn quick. My 9 year old picked up the word fu@ker and i was not having it.
    trying2survive

Answer by trying2survive at 9:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• fyi: They have done studies on this and it has been proven that it is a cause of major heart burn in adults these days! It didn't seem to affect those children who only had it a few times, here and there. But, those who's moms used it frequently ended up with horrible side effects.
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 9:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• No, I don't abuse my child.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• i don't abuse my child either, and don't see that or spanking as abuse. if all other options fail a child still needs a form of punishment. and i'll be da**d if my kid is going to think she can get away w/disrespect like that.
    i bet you really think i abuse her when i tell you that for 30 mins she threw a temper tantrum on the floor of a store b/c she wouldn't put her shoes on to leave and wanted in the cart, there was no room in the cart b/c my 2 month old was already in the seat, so i had to carry her while pushing a full cart w/a baby in it and her screaming the whole way, when we got to the car i put her down instead of putting her straight into the car. you bet your butt when her feet touched that asphalt w/o any shoes on and it being hot outside, she hasn't ever again refused to put her shoes on when i told her. sometimes kids have to learn the hard way, it doesn't mean we like to make them learn the hard way
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• my mom used to use hot sauce and soap on my brother and i. not often but we deserved it... no matter how much i hate the idea of using soap in a child's mouth as discipline, sometimes if it works it has to be done

jmetz4

Answer by jmetz4 at 11:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2009