Why do you think alcohol is such a "bad example"?

I mean, my parents have drank beer since, oh god.... i cant even remember.... that doesnt mean they sat me down and let me have a couple. Its for people 21 and over, if you are over that age then you are allowed. Sitting at home enjoying a couple is a bad example? BTW, I am not a drinker, everyone in my family is except me.... if your kids are going to drink in the future, then they will. I highly doubt you have any control over it , now getting in a car shit faced is a bad example

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Everything in moderation!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 11:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• A beer or glass of whine I see no prob, getting drunk and not having control or being able to care for your self or kid i think is a bad exaple
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:22 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• of course thats abad example.... but some parents seem to think even one or two is horrible and shouldnt be done in front of children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• ditto.

I grew up withmy parents having a beer with dinner or after dinner. we'd occasionally have a sip and be totally grossed out lol. my brother and I don't drink heavily...I have a couple of beers or drinks a week if even that. same with dh.

I think kids need to be raised with a healthy respect for alcohol - you can hide it and shun it all you want but once they get to the real world....bring out the puke bucket - those kids are going to learn the hard way all about it. (and thats from experience of having friends never get to even see alcohol and jump headfirst into the bottle)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• oh - lol
    idk I dont think that :)~
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• yeah...drink to get hammered - bad example
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I think drinking beer in front of your children is *gasp* a GOOD example. Show them that you can enjoy a beverage w/o going overboard and getting drunk. I think it's even a good idea to let an older teen have a beer at home with you present so they are not as tempted to go out and get wasted. If they learn it is just a drink like any other, they are less likily to drink in excess, drink and drive, or sneak behind your back to drink.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Im from England but live in Oklahoma with my husband who's Texan, so we were raised with different age limits on things, one major one being alcohol.
    My parents always (and so do a lot of European parents) allowed my brother and i from an early age to have a very small glass of watered down wine or beer at a meal time, and if they were socializing have a sip of their drink. With the fact that we knew it wasn't anything to get waaaay excited about, we never did the "coming of age, lets go out and get shitfaced" thing. And so that, irrespective of the laws and society is how im going to bring up our kids. You can hope they wont go and drink like fish when they're older, but giving kids a healthy respect for it i think is important, and no i dont think drinking in their company is bad, again as long as its in moderation. I do unfortunately know some who have been around a whole house of people on a New Year when the adults.....
    Texanairforce1

Answer by Texanairforce1 at 9:27 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• ..... trashed. I DONT agree with that.
    x
    Texanairforce1

• And, i just thought id add, in England, if you are caught intoxicated in charge of a minor you're arrested. ITs illegal, which i think would be a good think here, if its not already the case.
    Texanairforce1

Answer by Texanairforce1 at 9:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2009