lawn mowing etiquette

in a average suburban neighborhood with an average size lawn and an average size gas lawn mower... what time is too late to turn it on and begin to mow?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 9:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I agree with 8 pm....but the earliest should be 10 am....sometimes kids sleep in which means...yep, their parents sleep in too
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 1:33 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Never thought about it. I mow when I mow and so do all the other neighbors. It's not their job to think of my kids' schedule when they are planning their mowing. And I live in the city so the houses are right on top of each other. People mow at 6am and at 10pm...whenever they find the time. It has never bothered my kids. They have never woke up from people mowing their lawns and I just ignore it. But I guess we are used to the noise with all the traffic and planes and people around. It's always noisy here.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:30 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• agree with deadheadjen. My littlest ones are in bed at 8pm, and we love to atleast sleep till 8 am
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• You should check the noise ordinance laws for your neighborhood. In our area, no noise before 7 AM and no noise after 11 PM. So, you could mow in the dark here if you really wanted to and nobody can say anything about it.

Yes, it would be nice to not wake other people's children w/your mower, but they really aren't your problem, so if you can't fit your mowing time into their schedules (and honestly, why should you?), then I certainly wouldn't take that into consideration when deciding when to mow your lawn. As long as you are within the ordinances hours, that's all you need to be concerned about.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I'd say start no earlier than 8am and finish no later than 8pm, but that's just me.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Our noise laws say 8 p.m. then all is to be quiet
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:29 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I would think anytime after sunset. Our house is so soundproof I never hear the neighbors mow. They all usually mow in early afternoon. I usually try to mow in the morning before it gets too hot or humid. All of our lots average about 1/2 an acre.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 11:01 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I'd agree with robinann5. Anything after 8 p.m. is inconsiderate of possibly sleeping children & babies (and their parents who FINALLY got them to sleep!).
    TagBaby

Answer by TagBaby at 10:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I'd say 8pm....because there may be children sleeping.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• we have sound bylaws - 8am to 11pm are the noise allowable times.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2009