Can a 1yr old feel bad about rejection?

My mom has 2 kittens that my son loves to play with and they walk all over him and play back. I just got a kitten and he wants to pet and play with her but she always runs away. Sometimes he can get a pet in but then she runs and the baby cries. We taught him "nice kitty" so he won't hit them he pets nice. He gets so excited and happy when the kitten comes near him and cries when she runs away. Is he feeling bad, like feeling the rejection from something he loves, or is it like taking a toy away and he cries because he wants it back?

I feel bad for him because he loves our kitten and he is so nice to her, but she just runs and he cries.

(baby will be 1 in two weeks)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• LOL...he'll be okay! He doesn't understand yet what's going on...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I don't think he is feeling rejected. I think it's like what you said about taking a toy away. It's just something he wants and he's mad that he can't have it. Hopefully the kitten will warm up to him.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I believe he can feel rejected and it can cause problems. You should have found him the right cat who could take the affection. I hope he doesn't get scarred by this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• at one he thinks the world is all about him and as the kitten gets use to him they will become almost inseparable

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 9:50 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• OMG...he is not going to get scarred by a cat running away from him!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I think at one he can feel rejection. However, I do not think that is what he is feeling when the cat runs away. Its basically like taking a toy away. He will cry because he wants it and can't have it at the moment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2009