was standing by a litter box for maybe 10 minutes & didnt know.. will this harm my baby?

20 wks pregnant

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You should be fine! Just don't clean the litter box or touch it!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 9:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• If you didn't touch the litter or breathe in actual dust from the litter, then I seriously doubt it. You can ask your doctor for peace of mind. What I've heard is don't change the litter, so just standing next to it doesn't strike me as harmful. But ask the doctor to make sure.

Answer by Bmat at 9:56 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• No, just don't get down on your hands and knees and sniff it. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• It wasnt my litter box. It was under a bar that I was standing next too. Then it was pointed out that it was there and I moved away. lol so I wont be touching or cleaning it. Besides my cat goes potty outside... Thanks for the help Crazypink
    Anonymous

• ok thanks everyone!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• No. You have to actually get the fecal matter in your eyes, nose or mouth. The only way that happens is by handling the litter. Even handling the litter isn't a guarantee that you'll get toxoplasmosis. In order to even catch it, you have to come in contact with feces that is contaminated. If the cat is strictly an indoor can, it is highly unlikely that he's contaminated. Cats catch toxoplasmosis by eating contaminated raw meat or coming in contact with soil outside that's contaminated.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• You have to get the disease toxoplasmosis for there to be a problem.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2009