Breastfeeding and weight loss

I have been breastfeeding my daughter for 8 months, exclusively. I have lose 41-45 pounds, fluctuating up and down. but can not move off the 152lb mark. I go to the gym 4-5 days a week and still dont see a budge. is this because my body has to restore the fat cells the breastmilk is taking?? and will i lose the rest of the weight when my daugther is weaned off?? advice and answers are more than welcome! :) thank you!

Almieb38

Asked by Almieb38 at 9:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try changing your gym routine with the help of one of the trainers and look at your diet..my Dr always used to say never drink a calorie and I had a list of foods that used more calories to metabolize then their actual caloric value
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Try belly dancing, Fit TV has a show called Shimmy, works great! my DD is EBF at 10 weeks I am almost back down to my prepregnancy weight.
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• sounds like you hit a plateau (sp? lol). try doing circut training at the gym for a while and see if that jumpstarts your weight-loss again. when you wean it will be easier to gain weight bc you are not burning those extra calories anymore
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• It doesn't have anything to do with fat cells and breastfeeding. When you stop breastfeeding you will not loose weight just because you stopped breastfeeding.

You might try doing exercise using your baby like walking or jogging with a stroller or walking or hiking with her in a carrier.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Try mixing up your exercise routine. Once your body gets used to a certain work out, even if you up what you're doing with it, your body is still used to those actions. And yeah, once you stop breastfeeding, it's easier to gain again.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• but also, once I stop breastfeeding I will be able to "diet" or begin jenny craig or nutrisystem. while breastfeeding I am unable to do any calorie counting, ect..

??
    Almieb38

Answer by Almieb38 at 10:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• you can still do a "diet" if thats what you want to call it.. to me a diet is how you normally should be eating anyway, working out getting exercise and eating healthy foods.. salads fruits etc... dont eat any junk or soda or anything... try that if you arent already.
    some people its just easier for them to lose weight it also has to do with your metabolism
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:44 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I ebf'd for 4 mos (now she gets some formula along with bf'ing) and I lost it all BUT, I guess you can say I 'diet.' I def. watch what I eat and never ate the extra 500 calories. I was just told to eat when I'm hungry and that's what I did. Here are some things I do:
    1: Rarely eat fast food. Maybe once every 3 mos.
    2: Never drink high calories stuff. Only drink diet coke or coke zero and drink beer occasionally.
    3: If I eat something really fatty like a muffin, I'll eat very light the rest of the day.
    4: Push-ups, sit-ups and squats at home. I also have a 2 story, so I'm always up and down the stairs.

If you just watch what you eat and are conscientious about it, you will lose weight. Also, if you can, sleep 8 hrs at night and always eat breakfast.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• 1. Are you EBF? If not, try that. 2. Change up your workout routine. Doing pilates? try running. Treadmill? Try a class. Try the climbing wall, whatever. You need to "shock" your body. 3. Eat well, throw out all junk out of the house and swear off fast food and unhealthy snacks. You'll get your momentum back soon.
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 11:42 PM on Aug. 11, 2009