How can I get my boys to go to bed and stay there all night?

I have 2 boys, three and two. They both do NOT like to go to bed at night. My husband and I are so desperate that we even bought a TV for our 3 year olds bedroom, it's not hooked up to cable so he can only watch movies we approve of and at night time only. That still doesn't keep him in bed. We have taken naps away during the day. And, once we get him to bed, he wakes up and ends up either in bed with us or we end up on his floor. Our 2 year old will not go to bed, we have resorted to letting him cry himself to sleep, but he stills wakes up in the middle of the night. Again, we let himself cry it out, but my husband and I are tired and we don't know what else to do! Our kids HATE to sleep!!! HELP!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep putting them back in their bed, even if they throw a fit. They need to learn that it's bedtime. You should not sleep on the floor in their room! It's hard because you're tired, but they need to learn to stay in bed. Be consistent!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Taking away naps is the second part of a strategy you've started. Did you also try leting them be very active? Like tire themselves out. Unlimited day fun. Try exhausting them out during the day time, take a away naps. Also no sugar stuff before or after lunch hours. Leave sugery stuff for dinner, I'm not talking about cand I'm talking about juice. When you cut out foods and snacks that make them all hyper and giddy and they didn't take a nap all day and give them a bath before bed they would probably end up crashing at the end of the day.
    MyBlessin

Answer by MyBlessin at 10:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Taking away naps can really backfire!! Not always, but generally when naps get taken away kids have a harder time staying asleep. My boys have been like that. I have a 2 and 3 year old. It can be a LONG process getting them to stay in bed and they can regress too! My 2 year old is not staying in bed this week and last. We are 're-training' him again. Keep putting them back in bed. Over and over and over again. There were times when I just needed sleep that I would lay down on their floor to get some sleep - but only occasionally. Don't make it a habit - but there will be times that it is more important that you get your rest then they have a perfect night of training!!! Good luck. If you are interested I will give you more suggestions.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• well i would definately not let them look at tv near bedtime..... i cut off tv 2 hours before bedtime bc it over-stimulates them and makes it harder to go to sleep. also, i would put a baby-gate on the door to their room, so if they do get up they can't come into your bed. i baby-proofed my son's bedroom so if he got up in the middle of the night i didn't worry about him getting hurt or anything. i just left him and ignored him. the novelty of being up in the middle of the night wore off and he realized that he was not getting any attention so he started finding ways to put himself to sleep. also, do you have a routine?? here is the routine for both of my boys (one is 4 and the other is 18 months). first i read them 2 or 3 books, then we sing our special song (they have crib soothers in their beds so they can turn that on if they wake up during the night), prayers, then goodnight, sweet dreams, i love you and all that jazz
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:40 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Everyone has something that works for them. Try and find something that works for you.
    MyBlessin

Answer by MyBlessin at 7:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2009