Anyone offering OPK 101? Haha. HELP!

Okay. At 10 p.m. yesterday, I had a positive OPK. At 6 a.m. today, it will still positive... and still positive at 5:30 p.m. and even at 9:00 p.m. How long do you have a positive OPK? At what point do I ovulate? Do I ovulate after the test is negative?

Don't say... who cares... just BD. Haha. Trust me!!! I'm taking care of that part of it. I just want to better understand when this is happening. When will I ever know how many dpo I'm am????

CathyJD

Asked by CathyJD at 10:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• The positive OPK means that you have reached your LH surge. You ovulate 12 to 36 hours after your Lh surge is detected. it's different for every woman.

I used OPK's until I was able to detect ovulation naturally by monitoring my cervical mucus.

Good luck and I hope I've helped a bit.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 10:15 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Thanks.... my biggest concern is how long can I expect to keep getting a positive test? It's already been positive for 24 hours.
    CathyJD

Answer by CathyJD at 10:17 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My test would be positive for 2 days. My doctor also told me it was best if you actually had sex the day or two before your test was positive just to make sure the sperm is there when it needs to be because it can live for a few days inside of you and your egg only lives for 12 to 24 hours after being passed is what my dr said

good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Miranda123006

Answer by Miranda123006 at 10:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• We BD'd Saturday afternoon. My first positive OPK was Monday night. We BD'd Monday night, Tuesday morning, and I would imagine we will tonight too.

Any thoughts?

I just wonder if the surge ends before ovulation actually occurs.... or if ovulation occurs during the surge?... since my OPKs are apparently going to be positive for two days as well.
    CathyJD

Answer by CathyJD at 10:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I'm pretty sure ovulation occurs after the LH surge. When I did IUI we used a trigger shot (artifical LH surge) 36 hours prior to the IUI, and apparently the timing was perfect. Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2009