Please Help!!!! Question about doctor visit!!!!

My two year old got bit by an ant Sunday at my MIL's. His leg was very swollen, it was red and hot, he had a low fever, was very tired, and his voice was horse or raspy. We thought it was an allergic reaction, but he didn't have a problem breathing so we waited until we got home and took him to his doc. 2day. We had to see another doc. and she walked in the room telling me that an insect bite wouldn't cause him to be tired. She said his leg wasn't swollen. I said I know it was yesterday. We were worried that if one bite would do that what would happen if he got bit by more? She looked at his ears, said he had two ear infections, and said she sent the prescription to the pharmacy and left. His ears aren't red, he has no fever, and says his ears don't hurt. SHE PRESCRIBED A MED. HE IS ALLERGIC TO!! Would you take your child back tomorrow to see if his doc. thinks it an ear infection and tell about the med.??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Kids' Health

• The pharmacist should call the doctor about the antibiotic so the doctor can change it. Sometimes kids have ear infections without fevers. Ears rarely get read with ear infections.

The doctor goofed on the med - it happens. You have to decide if you want to go back to that doctor.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:42 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I agree with pp. it was a different dr. and she obviously didnt read through his chart. As a parent of a child with several allergies I can say it is our responsibility to look after our children, no one else (not even drs.) is going to do it for us. Have the pharmasist call the dr. and have the Rx changed. If you feel like he should go back to his dr. tomorrow call the office and speak with his nurse and see what she thinks.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• We should definitely be responsible when making sure we don't give kids meds they are allergic to.
    But.
    Doctors are working for us. And if they can't take the time to simply check the chart for allergies, then I would tell them why I won't be seeing them any longer and find another doctor.
    If your kiddo isn't complaining about his ears, I would give him any meds for it.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 10:50 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• if u thought he was having a allergic reaction to the ant bite u could of giving him benydril to counteract it...it sound like to me hes coming down with a summer cold...as far as the med thing goes i would have spooken up befor she left the room or i would of went out the room to the nurse and requested to see another dr right away...trust me i have done this to my dr office when im not happy with the end results do it enough times and they start taking their time with u and ur kids to get the whole story and make the proper diganoses
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 11:32 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• my adult dd goes to a clinic that has student doctors. They misdiagnosed him so many times that she told the head dr that if any of the idiot student doctors ever come in the room with her son again she'd hurt them! lol They let that little boy suffer so bad for months before and ER dr told her the real problem and helped the child. Take him back to his dr and tell his dr your concerns. It's important.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I would take the kid back and see a different Dr. Demand that the Dr. listen to you and actually examens the child. No excuse for that. A Dr. in a hurry is a very bad Dr. indeed.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 11:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Ear infections don't cause ears to get red where you can always see it. Mine have NEVER had a fever with an ear infection (and one was ready to burst)

How are they supposed to do anything about a bite reaction when you don't take him in DURING the reaction? If you felt it was a reaction to an ant bite, you should have taken him in during the reaction. I can't believe you were waiting to take him in if he started having trouble breathing!!

Call the doctor office TODAY and tell them about the mix up with the medication. By waiting to see one for a possible allergic reaction you are now in a position where you have to wait until he is bitten again....and if it is an allergic reaction, the next one is liable to be worse. Why wait another day to get medication changed? And I would find another pharmacy if they filled the prescription and didn't say anything about your son being allergic to it and calling the doctor then!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Aug. 13, 2009