When do you curse?

In college, I fit right in. It was prime cursing time. We talked about how this project was bulls--t, that lecture was bulls--t and, at times, even our entire lives were bulls--t. And we hadn’t even encountered all the bulls--t of the real world yet. Then I grew up. My family and friends began having kids, and it was as if the second these babies were born, my freedom of speech died. An exaggeration? Not if you’re a “drunken sailor” like me.I had to learn quite quickly there are manners involved in cursing, and my First Amendment rights would not survive a jury of my former bulls--t-bashing peers. Can you believe this s--t? Oh, sorry.

I’ve learned there are times you may curse and times you may not. If you’re around kids, you simply can’t. Doing so will immediately ostracize you from your inner circle. You have to learn to use words like rats and dang and such phrases as Oh my goodness.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• What's funny is I WAS a Sailor, for 5 years, and I still don't curse. I just don't think it's lady like. I'm sure others will think that is ridiculous that I feel that way, but it's just my opinion. I just don't think it's attractive when people use curse words.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 10:41 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I don't curse. I've never cursed at my children or called them names. It's just not right. I'm appalled when I am shopping and people in stores can't even refrane from cursing when shopping in family places.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• When I was growing up I cussed like a sailor but knew not to do it around adults. When my son was 3 he repeated what I said so I told him to help me stop cussing. He did. Now that all the kids are grown I cuss like a sailor again but watch myself when the grandkids are around. It takes discipline but they are worth the effort. I still get to be me but respect them as impressionable children.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I do, not as much as I used to... not in front of my daughter. My luck it would be her first word.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 11:01 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• lol..

I'm not a cusser. I may say "hell" or "damn" when I stub my toe or something.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• i do, i try to refrain from it in front of my daughter, but if i'm in the car and someone cuts me off i can't promise i'll remember to say son of a monkey's butt instead of something else. usually when i do curse, its when i'm on the phone w/a girl friend and we are venting about our kids or husbands/SO's. or when dh and i are having a really big fight curse words usually get thrown in there but that only happens maybe once or twice a year. and if i do it in front of my daughter, she gets to put mommy in time out that way she knows its not a nice thing and to not copy mommy b/c mommy got into trouble.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:05 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• okay bash me away i still use the word fu** and sh** i do not believe in being someone other then me, I do not say those things around my kids or family.. but i have no problem using those words lets say im out with the girls.. and yes I also believe that you can be a person, not just a mom.. and u can do adult things and there is such a thing as adult time..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I try very hard not to use the Lord's name in vain, or saying anything with F**k in it, but because I'm around people who do it (DHand my parents) sometimes it still slips out. It's been a part of my language for so long it's hard to get rid of. I gave up swearing for lent one year and it was the best thing I did, of course 4 months after lent was over, stressful situations came about, and it all came back to me again. I did notice, however, when I wasn't swearing, I was alot happier because how could one be mad and not swear? I was calm and less stressed. I think I'll try that agai\n.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:04 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I curse once a month, I thought all females did.???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Oh, sorry that...The Curse you get once a month.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Aug. 12, 2009