Do you think its okay to get a boy who turned 5 today some neat stuff for starting school this year?

My So's son turned 5 today and we didnt really want to get him toys because we have no idea what he already has and we spent over 200 on him for christmas and he doesnt play with it... so we kind of thought maybe we could get him stuff that he would NEED... I already got him 3 transformer t-shirts and thought about getting him a back pack but dont really know what else

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Those smencils are cool. My sis introduced us to those.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 11:11 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• You could always talk to the boy's mother and see what he needs. or get him a gift certificate to let him get what he wants.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 10:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• maybe a fun crayon box, a lunch box (for snacks maybe if they take snacks?), folders. and yes school supplies are fine for bdays, they love them at that age anyways, take advantage of that while you can b/c in a few years they'll be asking for the newest version of the ipod that costs $300 plus.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying him things he NEEDS instead of more stuff that he wont play with, especially since he is turning 5. I would definately get him school stuff, he is going to need it and if you throw in a few things he "wants" its still a good thing :) People put way too much money into kid toys that go to waste I think :)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 11:01 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My sister was in kindergarten last year(just assuming he is) The new thing is this scented pencil I think it's called a smencil or something like that. There are a lot of different scents. Maybe that would be a good idea?

OOH I found the website. I guess you can only buy them online.
    http://www.smencils.com/
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 11:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• awesome owensmama, thats a neat thing... i had never heard of them!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I think it is a great idea to give needed things and not just a bunch of toys that will be broken up or lost too quickly. I hope everyone gives my kids what they need not want for their bdays. My son's bday is the 20th of this month so I feel ya.
    mistym31

Answer by mistym31 at 1:40 AM on Aug. 12, 2009