shelter or craigslist?

I'm getting rid of a kitten and I don't know how I should. I trust the local shelter and am glad that applicants must pay for the animals and be approved. But I hate the thought of her being in smelly cage in a room filled with other smelly cages all day everyday til she gets adopted. So I was thinking craigslist so she'd go straight to an owner. But predators are all over the internet and I'm afraid I'd be handing a helpless kitten to some sicko who gets kicks out torturing animals. It'd be easy with no applications or costs (you're not allowed to post animals for money there). What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Pets

• there are people around here who foster animals til they get adopted. this way they are in a loving home until they are adopted, maybe look into that, do a google search for your area and see what comes up. most of them are privately owned businesses that people do for free.
    otherwise if you go w/craigslist, you could require that you do an "interview" with the person, go to their home, check it out, if they have other animals see how the animals respond to them and if they look like they are taken care of. shelters scare me if they aren't a no kill shelter b/c theres so many animals getting sent to them w/people struggling financially right now, not that all of them do but most are, at least in my area.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Just because they pay for the animal doesn't mean their not a psycho. I would put her on craigslist and just make sure the people who adopt her are nice people.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• post signs up all over asking for a home for her. the shelter here is overwhelmed and puts the to sleep b/c they have too many and not enough room for them. i don't trust craigslist b/c there are some weird people on there. i would try to find a home for the kitten on my own. or go to a no-kill organization like SpayMart or something. They also charge potential owners and they really look into the background of the potential owners.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• You can ask for a rehoming fee on craigslist to make sure it goes to a loving home. People do it all the time on my local craigslist. They put a rehoming fee from anywhere from $20 to $50. I hope you find your kitty a good home!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:15 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I'd go with Craigslist - that's how one of our kittens went to a good home.
    One of my requirements was a face-to-face meet. Most animals have pretty good intuition on other humans. I wanted to make sure they got along fairly well.
    The woman who adopted our kitten was a very sweet woman, she had prior experience with kitties and cats, and she actually stays in touch with me, which is adorable.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 11:20 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I'd go with Craigslist. I found a family on there that was awesome for my dog. I was so, so sad to get rid of him. She will send me pictures when I ask. My dog gets to go camping now and go on boat rides. I am happy I did a little interview first though. I would not put a rehoming fee though...especially for a cat. I would just try to find a family to take the cat for free and see wht their story is.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 11:23 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• We bought one of our puppies off craig's list and I'm glad we did. We also bought one from a store/shelter and I'm glad we did there as well. It was so easy and nice both way BUT I know that shelters do applications. But anyone can lie on an application. There's pros and cons to both...

*Craig's list - they're going straight to a home
    *Shelter - they'll be put in a cage and you don't actually know if they'll get adopted.

That is my biggest issue because I wouldn't want my babies in a cage. It's up to you but I'd go with Craig's List and you can make an application of your own.
    TheJBug

Answer by TheJBug at 11:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• If you live in seattle, I will take it.
    ibeamomysomeday

Answer by ibeamomysomeday at 11:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• You can do craigslist and perform your own interrogation... ask for references including a vet reference and try to add a re homing fee of about 75 dollars. Try and set up a date to meet and let it be known that it is simply a date. Good luck..
    Shelters are overcrowded and the more animals coming into a shelter, the more get put down.. so try as many alternatives as possible... You can even try petfinder.com. There are many websites out there...
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 11:58 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• you answered your own question about craigslist....who cares if it's free to list...put up a sign at the vets office and the kitten will be gone by the end of the day. at least you know the person taking her will take care of her....don't put ads in the paper or on craigslist.....way too many sick people in the world.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:47 AM on Aug. 12, 2009