What do you tell a child when daddy goes to jail?

This is a really tough time for some friends. The daddy has just gone to jail. Kids are extremely confused and behaving really badly. Mom is talking about counseling. Any other ideas? The kids keep asking questions, but there aren't alot of answers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• how old are the kids? if they are still young than they can just be told that daddy had to go to grown up time out for however long. counseling would be a good idea either way though, it will help the kids make sense of things and work through it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:08 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• OP Here. She is 5.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• she has no clue at 5 what jail is so don't explain anything. Kids have no concept of time so just say he'll be back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My ex has been in and out over the years. I told him, Dad did a bone head thing and broke the law as he was older when we went to go see him in prison. When he was little I told him dad went away to "Industrial school". Good luck! I know it's tough! I've been there many times!(Not to jail, trying to explain to child why "daddy went away AGAIN".
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 11:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2009