how i can start with my 30 month baby spelling

my son he know the alphabet but how i can start with him so he can read or spell or remember the spelling like hat ,cat ,dog ...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• WOW, unless he is showing interest in learning to read, I wouldn't push it. But, if he IS showing interest, I'd get Phonics Pathways. Spelling starts usually after a basic understanding of reading comes into play. So, go through the reading first.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• 1. he has to be able to point out A is an A.. B is a b... ect. ect..
    2. He has to learn that A is Ahh B= bah.. C is Cuh or ssss..

Dont rush him to grow up! Theres no reason for kids to know how to read this young.. its more important they play. alot. and know they are cared & loved for ... Imagination is key! Play with them! Alot :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I agree with the second post and first actually. Lay off, if he's interested, fine, but don't rush things. There is a lot more to being smart than reading. I'm a teacher, problem solving skills, interacting with peers and adults is also key. Relax, we all want genius children, but you may push them away from school if you go at it too hard.
    ConnorsMommy521

Answer by ConnorsMommy521 at 12:35 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• 1) At 30 months he is NOT a BABY.
    2) A 2 1/2 year old is not expected to spell.
    3) Knowing the alphabet doesn't mean squat. He needs to RECOGNIZE the letters and know the sounds each letter makes before he can even start to read. Recognition and phonics is a three year old advanced skill.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• i started my son off with spelling his name (i am lucky it's alex..... easy lol). at least that's useful
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:02 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Just reading and cuddling with your kiddo would be a great foundation for reading! In his own time he will catch on that those letters actually mean things. Don't pressure him. It could very likely backfire and he would associate reading with not so happy feelings.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 10:32 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I would just start with recognizing the letters. our preschool teacher got on our case (in a good way) about how our daughter only knew her capital letters. Capital letters are used less than lower case letters. I know it's logical, but we never thought anything of it.

So with our son, 20 months, I don't plan on exposing him to the upper case... just lower case first. Then I'll only sound out the letters. They need the sounds to learn to read.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 11:29 AM on Aug. 12, 2009