SIDS

My little boy is 12 days old today and is already rolling to his tummy. Once he found his tummy he sleeps so much better and definitely more sound. Did anyone elses newborn sleep better on their tummy if so did you let them during the night due to the risk of SIDS?

jazzysmommy1004

Asked by jazzysmommy1004 at 11:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I personally would not let my little one sleep on their tummy's at night. I have a sixth month old who has been able to roll around for quite some time now and he sleeps on his back or side. I always follow the back to sleep guidelines.
    A.Day

Answer by A.Day at 11:29 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Back to sleep guidelines?
    jazzysmommy1004

Answer by jazzysmommy1004 at 11:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I still have a habit of turning my son at 4 months bc i think I just scared myself in pregnancy and always knew NO TUMMY...but I have a ton of things that I bought to make my sons crib safe. i practice crib wrapping which is something they do in new zealand and supposidly babys who are on wrapped cribs were studied and the rate of crib death for those thousands of babies is zero.I also have a breathing monitor....ppl might find me over cautious but I at least can get some sleep now. Let me know if you want any information on those two items.they were both the best thing I could have bought....and keep all things out of the crib since baby is rolling...no wedges, blankets pillows, nothing...and i also keep my son against the side of his crib.....i keep his head a few inches away but i keep his lower body against the side (I have a breathable bumper around crib) and this usually stops him. unless he scoots away and then he rolls
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 11:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Once my daughter learned to roll over, I lost the sleeping on her back fight. If i put her on her back, she'll roll right back to her belly. Talk to your child's pediatrician about it.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:32 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I dont know what experts say about keeping a baby against a side of a crib...but I do have the breathing monitor ... in my babys sleep he moves and then realizes he has room to roll, so having the barrier helps keep him bc then he just falls back asleep. i dont know if this would work for every baby. i have the breathable bumper which is actually really soft padding with holes in it. and the crib wrapping basically just keeps all of the harmful chemicals that turn to gases from the mattress from reaching the baby.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 11:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• sorry I should have said MATTRESS wrapping. it is only the mattress that you wrap. i am tired sorry.Im sure ppl would picture a crib wrapped up completely or something lol.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 11:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't be to worried about it but the fact that he's only 12 days old and rolling to his tummy already has me nervous.
    jazzysmommy1004

Answer by jazzysmommy1004 at 11:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• What is crib wrapping?
    jazzysmommy1004

Answer by jazzysmommy1004 at 11:39 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• My daughter slept on her tummy from day 1. If we laid her on her back she would wake up and just scream. Years ago, it was make them sleep on their tummy, now its their back.. in a few years it will probably be back to their tummy. If she's rolling their on her own, there isn't much you can do.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 11:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• my son is 3 weeks old and he also has started turning over, i bought one of those sleep positioner things at walmart and since then he hasnt been able to turn over on his belly. now im just having the problem of him scooting out of it.
    ALLIE637

Answer by ALLIE637 at 11:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2009