Newborn that wont sleep...

I just had Jax on the 3rd of August and he is a very alert boy. He takes cat naps all day but will and can stay awake for hours on end just looking around. He doesn't cry unless he's wet or hungry. But how can I get him to nap for longer than 15 minutes at a time. Night time is the worst because I feel like I need to be awake when he's awake. Any advice?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 11:28 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh girl. Been there, done that. As long as he isn't fussy, there's not alot to worry about. If you can just start laying him in his crib, you will know that he is totally safe. If he doesn't make any noise, you can sleep then.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• its hard to get a newborn on a nap schedule. my four month old is still on his own schedule. I have read it is around 5 months that babies can take longer naps..and at the newborn age, they have those startle reflexes, and if you try to mess with their natural sleep pattern you will have more trouble on your hands.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 11:38 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I used to do what m-avi suggested. I would lay him in his crib and sleep. As far as getting him on a schedule, my son pretty much had his own schedule since birth ( he is 1 now). And honestly I love his schedule. He was a very alert baby. He is asleep by 8pm,, 8:30 at the latest. He wakes up at 1:30am. I give him his bottle ( thats what we are trying to do now... get off the bottle) and hes back asleep till 8am. Then his nap time is between 12 and 1, and he sleeps for 1 1/2 hours...
    Good luck and llike m-avi said.. as long as he's quiet and safe.. sleep while you can!!!
    msbell428

Answer by msbell428 at 11:44 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• If he's not fussy and is safe, sleep.
    ConnorsMommy521

Answer by ConnorsMommy521 at 12:32 AM on Aug. 12, 2009