I wear a bra to be able to sleep comfortably. My back is killing me. My insurance won't cover selective surgery. Is there something I can do for my insurance to cover breast reduction surgery?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Most insurance companies will cover if there are problems related to the size of your breasts like back and neck pain, difficulty breathing, numbness in your arms. My own insurance company wil will cover reduction but not reconstruction without an organic disease. In the meantime I wait.. I will gladly trade in 40 DDD for my old pre-preg 36c any day of the week and twice on tuesday.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Some insurance will cover if you are at least a certain size.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

I'm 36-38 DDD OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Tell them you are having a hard time breathing. they usually don't think much of back pain but telling them you can't breath gets the doctors attention.
    Anonymous

• Well then, check with your insurance to see if they will cover it.
    If you can get a doctor stating that you NEED the reductive surgery because of severe back problems associated with it, get a referral, etc - the insurance company will be more willing to pay. Definitely call and ask to see what the options are.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 11:48 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

Thank you! actually I do have some problems breathing but I though that was part of getting old and I'm only 38. OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Thank you! actually I do have some problems breathing but I though that was part of getting old and I'm only 38. OP

You are welcome! My friend went through a lot getting approved for hers she had 38 J's yeah! she was always complaining of back pain but as soon as she said she was having problems breathing they did a lot more to help her get the surgery.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• To make matters worse I tend to arch my back when I'm walking I can't stand it. OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Try to get your doctor to send a referral to your insurance company stating it's a medical need.
    I have 34 DD's and have horrible back pain, I couldn't imagine being any bigger than that. I would want a breast reduction too.
    Good Luck
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I know I went to a plastic surgeon for a consultation and once he saw the indentations caused by my bra straps he told me it was medically necessary for my health. He told me insurance usually will cover it when proven necessary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Aug. 11, 2009