If your an only child do you feel like you missed out on anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I wasn't personally, but my Hubby was...and he HATED it. Although he was spoiled, he feels like he missed out on all the "sibling" stuff...

I'm one of five children, so we come from COMPLETELY different types of backgrounds and it's a huge difference for us. He can be selfish at times and has a hard time seeing both sides of a story, and doesn't have a lot of the experience. but then again, there's a lot of drama that comes with my big family..so we're hoping to find a happy-medium somewhere, lol.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I was an only child and I grew up with a silver spoon in my mouth. If I made better choices as an adult (I made some bad choices through no fault of my parents) I could be very successful now. So no, I do not feel I missed out on anything.
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• I can be selfish at times... okay a lot but I never have problems seeing both sides of the story. In fact I'm quite the opposite I have so much empathy and compassion but that's probably because I'm a girl and girls are better at 'feelings'
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Yep, i was an only child and extremely spoiled, i will definitely admit that.
    I got away with a lot of things my friends, who was not the only child would never dare get away with. However, i do miss the sibling stuff that Carlie mentioned.
    The rivalry, the "blood" companionship, etc. Maybe that's why I want a big family.... and my husband - who wasn't the only child - does not.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 11:57 PM on Aug. 11, 2009

• Yeah sawyer I definitely don't want a big family. In fact, I don't see myself TTC for a long time. I mean that could change once my son gets out of his toddler tornado stage :] I have to keep 10 eyes on him to catch his shenanagins ;]
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:04 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I grew up the only child.Yes I was spoiled rotten.I surely got away with things.It was lonely though.I used to keep to myself.I am adopted and my bilogical mother got married and had more kids.I wish I could meet my brothers and sisters and also my bilogical father.That is what I missed out.I wished my mother would have tried harder like get two jobs to support me so she would not have gave me up.Since I am not blood a lot of my cousins do not accept me and do not like me.I always wanted to know why they did not like me or accept me.I think that was so wrong and I did suffer adoption is not the greatest.I just found out in my 30's that I was adopted.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Only child here. My parents were able to provide many things for me but I was not spoiled. I was more mature than many of my friends I always thought of that as a benefit. I don't miss the drama I see my friends go through with their siblings. I grew up with about 36 first cousins 6 were my age and we were pretty close. I loved my childhood got to do all the activities I wanted. Traveled the world with my mom and dad. I would not change a thing.

I am raising an only child now who also is growing up with advantages his friends just don't have. He is 7 years old and is a well adjusted and happy child. Our neighborhood is full of kids so he has so many playmates. I asked him if he was lonely. He said no way. He said sometimes he wished he didn't have so many friends he doesn't think he spends enough time with us.lol He is a sharp kid who gets along with everyone. I wouldn't change a thing by having another kid
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Not really. I had enough cousins who were really close to suffice. Plus I got to go home to my own room and all the attention I wanted LOL! But it did get boring at times I guess. Loved it as a teen though!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I'm an only child. I always grew up wishing I had someone to play with. But also recognized the fact that I never had to share anything and took pleasure in it. lol. I also learned how to play by myself pretty quickly. As an adult with four kids, I find it difficult to understand the sibling dynamics. Before I married my husband, I struggled with being selfish, I just wasn't used to sharing. To this day I wish I had a sibling. Someone to share my plight in life with. :)
    jollymommy

Answer by jollymommy at 3:12 AM on Aug. 12, 2009