Activities for son's first b-day? And how long/what time...?

My son will be 1 in Sept. and its kind of a time of year where you don't know what the weather will be like, so I really don't want to do like a "pool" party. We have a decent sized back yard and room inside as well. There will be a could other "babies" about 6-14 months in range, otherwise a couple older kids and then adults. I don't plan on serving a meal, and was thinking maybe a 3 hour party.......

Also, he naps about 9:30-11 am and 2-3:30 pm. What should a I do about that so that I don't have to have the party over lunch and serve a meal, and he still gets in a fairly normal nap?

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 12:46 AM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep it simple. The best part is when they have the whole cake in front of them and let them just shove their face in it LOL. (You can serve around that peice)

If you really want to do a theme and go all out, you can do a scrapbook. People do it for baby showers, but it'll keep everyone busy and included in the fun.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 12:51 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• can you tell me more about the scrapbook idea?!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:56 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• well, we're having my sons first bday party next sat and it's just a family gathering and a cookout. we're having it at our apt's clubhouse which is right in front of the pool. we're starting it at 430pm and it's going til whenever everyone leaves or his bedtime.
    you might just have to wait on the nap or just not have the late afternoon nap if you don't want to serve a meal. most people are going to expect a meal and if you're going to have kids there, you're going to have to have some kind of food there.
    you could cut the time to just 2 hours. that way you just have time to socialize, open presents, eat cake (if you're going to serve any) and then it's time for everyone to go.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 11:51 AM on Aug. 12, 2009

• also, you could do a pot luck. everyone bring one dish
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 12:34 PM on Aug. 12, 2009